Students help with Yoplait lid collection

Abbey Linville

Twelve Kent State architecture students traced, cut, folded and glued for a cure last night in the Gym Annex as part of a charitable competition sponsored by the American Institute of Architecture Students.

In efforts to showcase the design ability and civic responsibility of AIAS members, the students designed boxes and receptacles to collect yogurt caps for Yoplait’s “Save Lids to Save Lives” program.

“AIAS is about connecting the students to the real world,” said Sam Marcum, senior architecture major and the president of AIAS. “That applies both professionally and literally and includes outreach.”

The concept behind the competition was to create eye-catching receptacles in supermarkets and campus locations where people could submit used Yoplait yogurt tops in order to raise money for a breast cancer cure.

According to Yoplait’s national Web site, the company will donate 10 cents for every top collected to the charitable organization Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

As part of Yoplait’s Breast Cancer Initiative, the Save Lids to Save Lives drive is now in its 10th year. The national program’s goal is to reach $1.5 million in donations annually, and it “guarantees a donation of at least $500,000.”

Marcum said ACME and Giant Eagle in Stow have both agreed to display the receptacles. He also hopes to exhibit the boxes at on-campus eateries, such as Rosie’s and Eastway, and possibly in a select number of dorms. All Media Supply donated a portion of the materials used in the competition, including paper and glue.

The designs were anything but typical. Abstract hanging receptacles, boxes with several unusual openings and complex geometric contraptions were among a few of the designs, but the winning vessels had a more literal look.

Charles Harker, associate professor of architecture, judged the competition. Harker named senior architecture major Christina DiDiano as the winner for her miniature Yoplait yogurt design. DiDiano crafted her receptacle by using a 2-liter soft drink bottle to guide the form of her pink paper design. Junior architecture major Elizabeth Schneider received honorable mention for a similar, larger design.

A second honorable mention went to Marcum for his atypical box, which had several inward-sloping openings and pink Yoplait caps glued to the front. The three winners received gift cards to Panera Bread for their designs.

Harker said the AIAS has participated in charitable activities in past years, primarily with the Ronald McDonald House. The members hope to help cancer research in the future by creating a team for this year’s Relay for Life.

“These kids really work hard to build membership,” Harker said. “They work at a variety of functions, including charitable work.”

Contact School of Architecture and Environmental Design reporter Abbey Linville [email protected].