USG counts down to next week’s concert

Nicole Stempak

Undergraduate Student Government will be in full force promoting its first concert of the semester next week.

Cartel, Yung Joc and MC Lars will perform at 8 p.m. Sept. 11 as part of the Crocs Next Step Campus Tour. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for the public, and can be purchased at the Ticketmaster office inside the M.A.C. Center.

“This really is, for the next week, this is our top priority,” Executive Director Jonathan Bey said. “With the exception of I guess Third Eye Blind last year, this is the first concert student government’s done.

“This is going to set the tone for the whole year, and we really need to make it succeed.”

Director of programming Michael Szabo said USG needs “to get out there and start promoting this event.”

Starting today, USG’s street team will be in front of the M.A.C. Center passing out fliers to encourage students to purchase their tickets.

Emily Kiracofe, director of student involvement, said students sound enthused about the concert but haven’t bought their tickets yet.

“We’re just saying that the fact is that everyone is very excited about the idea of the concert, but the ticket sales just need to raise,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if people like the band or not if no one buys the tickets.”

Szabo said the programming committee has advertisements running in Scene magazine, the Daily Kent Stater and is in contact with three area radio stations. The programming committee has also posted fliers in businesses downtown and residence halls on campus.

His next target is high schools and The University of Akron.

“I want to see if we can get some outside people,” Szabo said. “Because you just can’t rely on Kent State students to get out there.”

Before the end of the meeting, Bey explained that promoting this concert is similar to selling a car.

“If you don’t sell the car the first time, the person’s not coming back to the dealership,” he said.

Contact student politics reporter Nicole Stempak at [email protected].