USG to spend $10K

Nicole Stempak

Allocation is intended to make directors, senators accountable

The Undergraduate Student Government meets for the first time this semester in The Governance Chambers on the second floor of the Student Center. Rachel Kilroy | Daily Kent Stater

Undergraduate Student Government has allocated $10,000 of its yearly budget for special projects.

The goal is to make directors and senators more financially accountable, executive director Jonathan Bey said. In the past, he said members often asked for more money than was necessary, which meant the leftover money sat idle.

When USG made the budget, Bey allotted money for annual USG-sponsored projects and then set aside $10,000 for miscellaneous projects.

“That way, they’ll also have to come through here and everybody will have to agree that the money is worthy of being spent on it,” he said.

Anyone who has a program or event they would like to sponsor will have to give USG a description and provide an estimated cost, similar to the Committee on Appropriations in the U.S. Senate, Bey said.

Yesterday, USG members approved the allocation of $600 for a meeting at 3 p.m., Sept. 5 in the Kiva for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design.

Samuel Marcum, senator for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design, said the college has undergone many changes this summer, including a new dean and a new bachelor of arts program, as well as a new coordinator and $100,000 for new computers in the labs in Taylor Hall.

“It gives new faculty and administration an opportunity to welcome back students and let the whole college know what’s going on,” he said.

The money will be used to purchase light refreshments and to advertise to students. Any money that is not used will be returned to USG, Marcum said.

Several members asked questions before the proposal was approved, which is what Bey said he hopes to see.

“Everyone has their own agenda, so I think we’re going to have to see more compromising, and like I said, more debating,” he said.

Points of Interest

&bullDirectors and senators will be more financially accountable.

&bull$10,000 of USG’s budget will go to special projects.

&bullProgram and event sponsors must provide a description and estimated cost of their programs.

Contact student politics reporter Nicole Stempak at [email protected].