Security goes to work as students go to sleep

Kiera Manion-Fischer

Campus security aides patrol public areas, enforce residence hall rules around campus

Security aides in bright yellow shirts are a familiar sight, patrolling the residence halls between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m. every night.

“It’s been a fairly quiet semester, so I’m pleased by that,” said security manager Brian Hellwig.

Security aides are responsible for documenting students for policy violations and checking doors, public areas and fire extinguishers. They make four to five rounds per night, per building. They also respond to emergency and fire alarm calls.

Hellwig said they do not come at scheduled times so that students will not be able to anticipate their arrival.

Security aides are required to be Kent State students and maintain a 2.3 GPA. He keeps about 45 students on staff.

Sophomore English major Doug Fink started as a security aide in his freshman year. He said most policy violations he encounters are either noise or alcohol in the residence halls.

“Most of the incidents aren’t that exciting,” he said. “A lot of our job is prevention.”

Fink said student trust of security aides varies.

“I think it just depends on the student,” Fink said. “Some students don’t like us at all, and some are really friendly and will rely on you for things.”

Hellwig said the security aides understand students’ needs better because they too are students.

“We try to be more aware of students and respectful of students because of that,” Hellwig said.

He said the consequences of various policy violations depend on the situation. If the student is a repeat offender, they will be more severe.

Apart from the residence halls, security aides are also responsible for security in the library, the Rathskeller on weekends and Rosie’s from Wednesday to Sunday.

Any student can request a security aide as an escort during the hours they patrol the residence halls.

Contact safety reporter Kiera Manion-Fischer at [email protected].