Get the party started

Denise Wright

Local business offers alternative party ideas

For many students, Thursday through Saturday evenings consist of going out to the bar with friends or party-hopping across town, but what about students who don’t drink or just feel like staying in for a change?

That’s where Beach Boyz Entertainment comes in.

According to its Web site, Beach Boyz has been the leading entertainment service in Northeast Ohio for more than 20 years.

It has the clientele to back it up, too. Past parties include LeBron James’ graduation party and several Pro Football Hall of Fame induction parties for John Elway and Dan Marino – just to name a few.

Beach Boyz is able to accommodate everything from high-end events for celebrities to smaller in-home parties for the local crowd using 50 staff members, including 25 DJs.

Rich Siebert, owner of Beach Boyz Entertainment, said most of the DJs are college students.

“I found that education majors are pretty good DJs,” he said. “They’re used to talking in front of people, they have off during the summer (peak season) and they’re reliable.”

Aside from a steady growth in staff size, Beach Boyz has also seen a change in technology since its origination. When Siebert launched the company in 1984, he used a $3,000 loan from his mother to buy equipment for parties he played in his hometown of Doylestown.

These days, however, Beach Boyz has 14 Mac computers and 14 iPods they use at parties, giving them access to more than 55,000 songs.

While Beach Boyz continues to expand upon its equipment, Siebert said the staff is also generating new ideas. He even plans to attend a disc jockey convention in Las Vegas in February to help the process along.

“With the same clients every year, if you have the same lights, same music and same games, things get stale,” Siebert said.

He said the same even holds true for new clients.

“With today’s generation, there’s so much out there that people want something different for a party,” Siebert said. “They’re sick of the same old keg party or going to the club.”

Beach Boyz has a wide array of party choices for those looking to spice up their next party, including Family Feud and other game-show themed events.

The most popular theme is the casino party. These parties enable guests to play as though they were at a live casino, but also include the benefit of having instructors who will inform the inexperienced player on how to play the games.

Upon arriving at the party, guests are given $500 (in play money, of course) to use throughout the night. At the end of the night, the players will exchange their earned chips for raffle tickets, which will make them eligible for prizes given out by the host.

“This is the hottest party idea going on right now,” Siebert said. “If you really want to engage your guests and keep them there at the party, you should do this.”

Dominic Rizzo Jr., vice-president and general sales manager at WAKR-WONE Radio, said the station has used the casino theme for client-appreciation parties in the past.

“Our clients loved them,” Rizzo said. “There’s nothing like being in a casino with a bunch of people you know, hooting and hollering, and having a good time.”

“Plus, it’s great education for people who don’t know how to play,” he said. “That’s the place to learn it.”

Although this type of party is usually a large-scale event, Siebert said it is possible to hold one of these in a smaller setting, such as one’s home. He does on-site visits to figure out how to best set up the tables.

Aside from personalized tables, Siebert said Beach Boyz can also customize the play money that they use. For example, if someone is having a birthday party, they can put a picture of the host or hostess on the bills.

Beach Boyz holds weekly open houses at its Cuyahoga Falls headquarters on Wednesday nights from 4 to 7:30 p.m. For more information, check its Web site at www.beachboyzentertainment.com.

More ideas

Adult novelty party

Passion Parties is the largest supplier of sensual products in the United States and Canada, and with individual consultants all over the country, it could easily make for a convenient party.

“It’s a different kind of party, but it’s coming to the forefront,” said Lisa Ryan, executive director and independent consultant with Passion Parties

Ryan described a passion party as an in-home party in which women (sorry, no men allowed) can invite their friends for a fun, yet informative presentation. These presentations last for about two hours and feature a mixture of games, discussions about the body, and information about sexual products that consultants bring along.

“Women get to view, taste and touch sexual products they wouldn’t otherwise at an adult novelty store,” said Ryan. “It’s a great way to shop in the privacy of one’s home and we have everything to choose from, for the wildest person to the mildest person.”

Along with these products, Ryan said she “brings a great attitude,” which helps ease women who attend.

“There are a lot of women who want to fulfill and enjoy life with their partner,” Ryan said. “Some women are a little nervous or unsure so it helps when teaching them about the products.”

Ryan said these parties are a great way for the hostess to get the girls together, while scoring discounted, or even free, products at the same time. Ryan said some consultants will give free products or additional discounts, but as a standard, the company provides 10 percent of earnings to parties that make over $350.

The best part, though? Parties are free to host.

For more information, go to www.toypartiesbylisa.com.

Makeover party

Judy Everett, owner of Doodle’s Salon & Spa in Kent, seeks to serve her customers with several customized options for a makeover party.

Option 1: Services

While the salon’s typical makeover party package features a hair cut or style, manicure, pedicure and a 15-minute chair massage, Everett said services can be added or exchanged, from hair extensions to makeup consultations.

Prices are calculated based on each guest’s chosen services and a 20 percent (add 10 percent if a Kent State student) discount. Brides get services free for a party of 4 or more, while other hosts get free services with 6 or more.

Option 2: Food

Doodle’s will order in food to the salon for parties if they are notified in advance.

Option 3: Location

Doodle’s makeover parties can be done in the salon or even in one’s home. Everett said stylists will travel to one’s home free of charge, as long as it is within a 20-mile radius.

Everett said right now is the best time to book a party because salons are slower after the holidays. For more information, call Doodle’s Salon & Spa at 330-677-5526.

Contact features reporter Denise Wright at [email protected].