BUS to host annual ball tonight

Christina Stavale

Tonight the Student Center Ballroom will transform into an atmosphere of elegance, as Black United Students hosts its 38th annual Renaissance Ball.

Themed “A Masquerade Ball,” the event will feature a pageant with 11 contestants and a dance.

“It’s a chance to celebrate heritage, diversity and scholarship in an upscale setting,” BUS programmer Ashley Tolliver said.

The event is free, open to any students, faculty and guests, and is not limited to black students. Proper dress attire is required for entry, and Tolliver asked that students wear “after 5 attire” or formal wear.

“Dress attire should be classy and appropriate,” she added.

Festivities will start at 7:30 p.m., with the pageant beginning at 8. Following the pageant, a Queen, King, Princess and First Runner-Up will be crowned.

Contestants will be judged on talent, a group dance and evening wear. The talent portion will include a variety of acts, ranging from singing and acting performances to displays of costume design and photography.

Eight women and three men, mostly freshmen, will compete for the titles. After the pageant, a dance will be held until 12:45 a.m.

At the ball, sororities will also host a best-dressed contest and book scholarship competition. Students are also encouraged to design their own masks to wear, as BUS will also sponsor a mask contest to go along with the theme.

The Renaissance Ball was once known as the Black Ball, and was similar to a Homecoming event for black students. It was renamed the Renaissance Ball, as it celebrates a rebirth of all students’ achievements, said BUS President Sasha Parker.

BUS treasurer Chelsea Fuller said the event will give students an opportunity to relax and wind down amid the stress the end of the semester brings.

“It’s getting close to the end of the semester, and people are starting to get stressed out,” she said.

Contact minority affairs reporter Christina Stavale at [email protected].