Times for cheap parking

Sarah Colvin

Two new parking passes will be offered to students and campus visitors this fall: a morning and weekend pass and an evening visitors pass.

Larry Emling, manager of parking services, said the morning and weekend pass is “marketed towards commuter students with morning classes.”

The morning and weekend pass is valid in selected lots Monday through Friday from 6 to 10 a.m., and are cheaper than traditional parking passes.

Emling said the morning and weekend pass should benefit not only commuter students who come for morning classes, but also other part-time and full-time students who come for classes in the afternoon.

“Hopefully, this (pass) will help open up parking spaces as well as cut down on the traffic,” Emling said.

The evening visitors pass will accommodate frequent visitors to campus, Emling said. The pass is valid Monday through Sunday from 5 p.m. to 10 a.m.

Emling said the evening visitors pass eliminates the running around to get a free visitors pass every time a non-student comes to Kent.

The new pass will also reduce ticketing on campus, he said.

“I think the evening visitors pass would be a good idea if I knew for sure that a friend or boyfriend would be staying frequently, especially on a weekday,” said Heather Bova, freshman athletic training major.

Visitors may still obtain a free evening and weekend permit from the residence hall area desks after 5 p.m. if they don’t want to purchase the evening visitors pass, according to the Parking Services Web site.

Contact buildings and transportation reporter Sarah Colvin at [email protected].