Faculty to be recognized for assisting students with disabilities

Deborah Pritchard

Ability Unlimited, with help from Student Accessibility Services, will host its fifth annual Faculty Recognition Dinner from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Room 310 of the Student Center .

The event recognizes faculty who have been especially helpful to students with disabilities in the classroom, said Danielle Flickinger, senior justice studies and psychology major.

“It is a way of recognizing people who have stepped up,” said Flickinger, who is the president of Ability Unlimited, a group for people with disabilities to get together and focus on their abilities rather than their disabilities.

It is an important way of showing students that the group gives back to others on campus, she said. The free event features a social hour, keynote speaker, dinner, and the award ceremony.

The highest honor is an award named after Chris Goddard, a student with a disability who died five years ago and was a founder of Ability Unlimited, Flickinger said. The award is presented to the teacher who has done the most to help students with disabilities succeed.

Everyone who is registered with Student Accessibility Services was welcome to make nominations, she said. All students registered with Student Accessibility Services are welcome to attend the event. To register, call the Student Accessibility Services office at (330) 672-3391.

Contact student life reporter Deborah Pritchard at [email protected].