On-campus convenience or off-campus freedom?

Kelly Pickerel

After students have lived on campus for their mandatory first two years, the question often arises as to whether to continue living in the residence halls or to find a place off campus.

Dave Moyers, junior communication studies major, stayed on campus this year.

“My parents are on a special pay plan, which made me stay on campus three years,” Moyers said.

Moyers’ plan, the Kent Plus Plan, covers room and board fees for three years. He had to live on campus his junior year to fulfill the plan’s requirements.

He said he thinks it has been more convenient to stay on campus.

“(During) this snow storm we had, it was so much nicer being able to walk to class than to have to drive from anywhere,” Moyers said.

Even though it might not be as convenient, junior finance major Michael Dubin said he’s glad he moved into a Holly Park apartment. He said he moved off campus for more freedom and space, but there have been some setbacks.

“There’s no laundry in my actual apartment, and the neighbors above me are really loud,” Dubin said. “Finding a parking spot is a pain sometimes.”

Fellow Holly Park resident Danny Newman, junior communication studies major, said he misses the convenience of having his friends nearby.

“(In the residence halls) everyone had their doors open and you could just walk in and see your friends,” he said. “Now, everyone’s in an apartment or house and not close-by anymore.”

Senior marketing major Christen Coppola lived on campus her first three years. She now resides at Whitehall Terrace apartments.

“I believe that everyone should live on campus at least their first two years,” Coppola said. “It offers great opportunities to meet people.”

She also said she thinks off-campus living is a must for upperclassmen.

“(Living in an apartment) is a great transition into the real world,” she said. “Most people get a job and move into their own place after school. This is a sort of trial period.”

Even though she has only lived in an apartment for one year, Coppola said she’s not disappointed with her choice of living in Centennial Court A last year.

“I love living off campus,” Coppola said, “but I never regret living in the (residence) halls for three years.”

Contact news correspondent Kelly Pickerel at [email protected].