Same college, same major, same interests: a match made in heaven?

Meredith Compton

Corey Fowler and Katie Harrison, both sophomore choral music education majors, have known each other since elementary school. “Friendship is deeply rooted in our relationship,” Harrison said. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY ABBY FISHER | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Jason Hall

If the saying “opposites attract” were true, Corey Fowler and Katie Harrison would be out of luck.

Both are sophomore choral music education majors and theater minors, and they met in third grade and became friends while sitting together at lunch. They started getting closer in high school because they were both involved in drama club and choir.

“A bunch of things brought us together,” Fowler said.

Harrison said she started liking Fowler while he was dating another girl.

“During December of our senior year, I had pneumonia and was out of school for a while,” Harrison said. “He and another friend of ours would call me during lunch to check up on me. That’s when I started to like him.”

“I sort of liked her then, too,” Fowler said. They started dating the following February.

Too similar?

Michael Moore, assistant director of the Kent Psychological Clinic, said couples who are in the same major may have conflicts.

“I would imagine that there might be some competition to see who is the better student,” Moore said in an e-mail interview. “Plus, if they work at the same job, navigating the dual relationships of boss/wife or co-worker/boyfriend could be very difficult as it would be hard to prevent work stresses from coming home with you.”

Fowler and Harrison don’t seem to have this problem – they say having the same major makes their relationship easier.

“We pretty much have the same classes except for LERs,” Fowler said. “So we can do homework together.”

“Even if we’re both busy at night, like he has to study for a German test and I have a rehearsal or something, at least we can see each other during the day,” Harrison said.

They both made the decision to come to Kent State on their own, because it was only about a week into their relationship when they had to decide on their colleges. They also chose their majors separately.

Shared understanding

Moore also said couples in the same major can understand each other more.

“They would also be more knowledgeable about the specific issues their significant other had to face on a daily basis, making communication easier,” he said.

Fowler and Harrison agreed with this. Both said they don’t really get sick of each other; instead, they understand each other better.

“Friendship is deeply rooted in our relationship, so I think that helps,” Fowler said.

Though Harrison and Fowler are also involved in the Kent State Chorale and the Ars Nova Singers together and the Hugh A. Glauser School of Music’s current opera production of “Die Fledermaus,” they say they wouldn’t want to work together in the future.

“I don’t think I’d want to teach in the same building,” Harrison said, “but maybe the same school district.”

“Working in the same school could lead to conflicts,” Fowler said.

Benefits of both sides

Moore said being in the same major isn’t necessary for a good relationship.

“It certainly isn’t essential for a good relationship and presents its own set of both challenges and advantages,” he said. “If the couple is communicating clearly and honestly though, the challenges should not be especially problematic.”

Moore also gave advice for couples in different majors.

“To couples in different majors, the key is to ask your partner about their day and listen when they tell you the issues they have to face, even if you don’t always understand everything they’re talking about,” he said. “Ask questions and try to be involved. It communicates that you care enough to make an effort to do so.”

He also gave advice to couples in the same major.

“If your partner is the same major as you, discuss ahead of time what it might mean to be in the same classes and competing for the same positions,” he said.

Moore said that there is one bottom line for successful relationships.

“The key to a successful relationship is always open and honest communication,” he said.

Contact features reporter Meredith Compton at [email protected].