USS proposes new format for ACPB

Jackie Valley

Members of the All Campus Programming Board expressed concerns about the proposed changes to ACPB at the Undergraduate Student Senate’s second “Constitutional Convention” meeting Friday.

As part of the restructuring of USS, Executive Director Ross Miltner proposed reorganizing ACPB to fall under the umbrella of the new Undergraduate Student Government.

Miltner said the new ACPB, headed by the director of programming, would be given 50 percent of the Undergraduate Student Activities Fund. Eighty percent of that money would be used for three events – BlastOff!, FlashFest and one additional concert – with the remaining 20 percent reserved for other programs.

He said the changes would make ACPB and the Allocation Committee “two equal arms of programming under the student government.”

However, Shana Scott, president of ACPB, said the proposed changes are unfair because they undermine the organization’s current attempt to restructure its own constitution.

“I think we’re being pushed down and cut because of past misconceptions instead of looking at the growth we’re heading towards,” she said.

But Amy Groya, governmental affairs senator said the reorganization of ACPB is not meant to be a punishment.

“We’re not trying to cut the legs out of ACPB or take away smaller programs,” she said. “We just want to ensure quality large programs.”

Christopher Taylor, vice president of ACPB, said the proposed funding for three concerts per year will prohibit the board’s ability to organize other programs similar to the Bob Saget event in April.

“The reason we are known for concerts is because we have done good concerts in the past,” he said.

However, Miltner said he thinks one of students’ main criticisms is the lack of quality concerts available at Kent State compared to other state schools.

After the ACPB discussion, Miltner announced changes to the USS portion of his proposed bi-cameral student government.

Last week, Miltner proposed adding 16 senators to the student government in addition to nine members of an executive cabinet similar to the current senator positions.

Based on suggestions at the USS meeting Wednesday, Miltner proposed changes to the new 16 senator positions. The Senate portion of the proposed Undergraduate Student Government would consist of 10 elected positions and six appointed positions. The 10 elected senators would represent academic colleges, while the six appointed senators would represent diversity interests, underclassmen and student living situations.

Miltner addressed concerns raised about compensating the senators, who, under the proposal, would not hold regular office hours.

“Students can’t do a job and classes and something they are not getting paid for,” he said, adding that many Kent State students rely on jobs during college.

USS adviser Donna Carlton said the compensation also adds accountability to the positions.

Miltner said he hopes the proposed Undergraduate Student Government will act as a back door for underclassmen to become involved with student government rather first participating in student organizations as a means of entry.

“I think the reason why we have so few students is because it’s so hard for young students to get involved,” he said.

The next USS Constitutional Convention meeting is 1 p.m. Tuesday in Room 319 of the Student Center.

Contact student politics reporter Jackie Valley at [email protected].