Award-winning pianist will perform Sunday

Jenna Gerling

Scarlatti, Haydn, Liszt and Ravel.

Their names may not be familiar to some; however, these composers’ music is recognizable by people all over the world. Several of their compositions will be highlighted in Sunday’s performance by pianist Chu-Fang Huang.

At age 23, Huang won the 2005 Cleveland International Piano Competition and was also a finalist in the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, all while at Juilliard, where she continues to study today.

Huang’s tight schedule as an orchestral soloist, recitalist and student proves to be motivational.

“(Huang) demonstrates how necessary it is for an artist to be constantly learning and growing — no matter what state (of professionalism) you are in,” said Donna Lee, associate professor and coordinator of the piano division. “Especially as an artist, there’s always a need to learn.”

Lee said even though Huang is considered a young artist, she’ll be able to provide inspiration to everybody.

“I think students will be able to see how a chamber musician or a soloist learns how to perform at the very highest level,” said Ann Waters, coordinator of Kent Classic Arts. “It is a great opportunity for anybody who wants to hear someone that young who has achieved as much as she has in her profession.”

As a result of her success, Huang won a recital debut at Alice Tull Hall in Lincoln Center, New York, a number of professional concert engagements with management and a large cash prize.

“Although I wasn’t there to hear it, I think that she’s very much deserving of it,” Lee said. “She represents all of the qualities I think the winner should have, and she has a very promising career ahead of her due to her artistry.”

Contact performing arts reporter Jenna Gerling at [email protected].

PIANIST CHU-FANG HUANG

Sunday, Nov. 19 at 3 p.m.

Ludwig Recital Hall

Free for Kent State students