USS approves three allocations proposals

Kali Price

Nearly $79,000 was on the table at Friday’s Undergraduate Student Senate’s Allocations Committee meeting, but only about $23,000 was allocated.

The committee reviewed five requests from student organizations and approved three of them.

The Inter-Greek Programming Board presented its request for $21,068.98 to bring Ryan Cabrera for its Rock Out Lupus program in December.

Discussion for IGPB’s program got heated in executive session, but it was approved with an 8-1-2 vote.

IGPB presenters said the event will raise awareness for the disease and will be a good end to the semester.

SALSA’s request for $21,469 for its Hispanic Awareness Week events were approved under stipulation. The committee decided to deny SALSA’s request to bring comedian Gabriel Iglesias to campus, but allocated the organization $670 to bring the El Corazon de Mexico Dancers at the end of the month.

The committee also approved the Human Service Management Student Association’s request for $1,000 to attend the American Humanics Management Institute conference in January in Washington, D.C.

Black United Students also presented its request for its program, “A Talk with Tavis.” The speaker, author Tavis Smiley, was slated to be BUS’ keynote speaker for Black History Month.

But the committee decided to deny BUS’ request for $32,680 in a 6-3-1 vote. Several members of BUS attended the hearing and expressed anger with the committee’s decision as they left the Governance Chambers.

The committee also denied the International Socialist Organization’s request for $2,675 to fund its program, “Subterranean Fire: A History of Working-Class Radicalism.”

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].