Time is still available to file absentee ballot forms

Kali Price

As many as 8,000 absentee ballots are expected to be returned in Portage County for the upcoming election.

For those who haven’t cast a ballot yet, voters still have time to apply for absentee ballots.

“You can still actually apply as late as Saturday,” said Amy Groya, Undergraduate Student senator for governmental affairs. “The Secretary of State’s office has mail carriers putting ballots on top priority.”

To apply for a ballot, visit the Secretary of State’s Web site at www.sos.state.oh.us. Groya said applications are also available at Portage County Board of Elections at 449 S. Meridian St. in Ravenna.

This year, voters do not need to provide a reason why they are voting absentee, which Groya said helps students.

“There’s a lot of lines, a lot of waiting. With absentee, you don’t have to worry about bringing utility bills or ID,” she said. “(Voting absentee) takes away some of the satisfaction of the act of walking into the polling place.”

Groya said absentee ballots must be postmarked by Tuesday morning.

For students not choosing to vote absentee, USS is sponsoring vans to take voters to the polls in the area. Groya said two vans will be running continuously from 7:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Election Day. The vans will pick up and drop voters off in front of the Student Center.

“I’m hoping we have a good turnout,” Groya said. “Even if just one student uses them, it was worth it to me.”

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].