Our first Mrs. President?

Christopher Taylor

She just might be the most polarizing figure in present-day America. Hillary Clinton is the crown jewel of third-wave feminism, the creator of political controversy and the wife of an unfaithful former president.

And she might be the next president of the United States.

But the 2008 hopeful is in for a very hardfought, up-hill climb for the top spot. Recently, she has been making a desperate attempt to move to the center on many issues, so that she can identify with everyday, independent voters. Several questions loom in the air surrounding this woman and her many accomplishments, but most importantly, “Can a female powerhouse run this nation?”

The answer is absolutely yes. It might just be a breath of fresh air.

In fact, a Gallup Poll released in February reinforced the idea of a female in the executive branch. Nearly 92 percent of Americans said they would vote for a female president. The other 8 percent shouldn’t be voting.

The senator from New York is only beginning her campaign now, as she gears up with moderate answers to topics on specific social issues. To summarize, she’s trying to retain minority voters while convincing conservative Democrats and the “undecided” column that she is capable of serving their interests.

Surprisingly, she has very strong numbers of approval from within the boundaries of her party. But on the other side of things, millions of people hate her – and the ones who hate her really hate her.

There is also an abundance of people, like myself, who admire and respect Clinton for her many accomplishments. Conservative Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina had nothing but praise in a May Time magazine article.

After pointing out her many bipartisan efforts in the Senate on issues concerning health care and manufacturing, Graham stated, “Some say she cannot be elected president. I say those who underestimate Hillary Clinton do so at their own peril.”

Even conservative producer and multi-trillion-or-something-aire Rupert Murdoch seems to like the junior senator and has apparently been doing some hefty fund raising for her. Clinton needs these relationships to establish that she is respected by a wide range of people in order to continue bolstering her heightening approval ratings.

Poll numbers are undoubtedly on Clinton’s side right now. She easily wins just about every Democratic primary and manages to come within the margin of error to Sen. John McCain in a summer Time poll. To be victorious over the notorious “Gang of 14” member McCain, she must strategize.

Most importantly, she needs to tone down the “scary” factor. People seem to be intimidated by her, whether they should be or not. I would suggest picking up a Southern accent.

Secondly, she needs to strike a conservative chord on social issues and drive home the foreign idea of cooperation within the Senate. I am not implying that she flip-flop, rather find a common ground between the extremes.

Thirdly, she must recruit youthful members into her campaign and combat apathy among this large group of voters. I believe the youth (ages 18-25, let’s say) have the ability to swing an election in any direction they want.

And lastly, link everything that her opponents do to the Bush Administration. I do not feel I need to elaborate.

Christopher Taylor is a senior nursing major and point/counterpoint columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].