Rec Fair kicks off Demo Week with free samples

Sean Daugherty

Tiffany Harrison, freshman secondary education major, receives a chair massage from massage therapist Carolyn R. Tustin-Gregory at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s Program Fair yesterday. SEAN DAUGHERTY | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Steve Schirra

Free chair massages, wall climbs and pizza were all available at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s Program Fair yesterday.

The rec center holds the fair at the beginning of each semester to inform students of the different programs available, ranging from yoga to spinning to kickboxing.

“There are a lot of hidden treasures,” said Greg Bailey, coordinator of intramurals, community leagues and sports clubs at the rec center. “Unless (students) try to explore, they may never know about these things.”

The fair kicked off Demo Week, which is a chance for students to participate in programs at no charge for one week.

Students could pick up literature and talk to program representatives at information tables set up in the main entrance of the rec center.

“We want students to know what we have to offer,” Bailey said.

The rec center offers many additions to its programs this year.

Intramural programs now include 4-on-4 volleyball and slow-pitch softball, while aquatics offers pool workouts. Students can also participate in several different types of spinning classes.

Regional campus students can now participate in many of the programs, including intramurals, which they were not able to do in the past.

Carolyn Tustin-Gregory, a massage therapist, gave free chair massages to anyone who signed up. There are two massage therapists at the rec center, but few people are aware that massages are available, she said.

The massage therapists perform Swedish, deep-tissue and neuro-muscular massages.

“We would cater to each individual’s needs,” Tustin-Gregory said.

In addition to free massages, students could also enter a free raffle for a chance to win prizes such as free entry into a racquetball league, an intro climbing clinic and even $100 in FlashCash.

“They always have a lot of good ideas,” Kent resident Matt Freeman said. “They have something for everyone.”

The fair is a way of informing students, but it is also a way of improving participation for some of the clubs.

Katie Amer, aquatics supervisor and Masters swim coach, said she hopes to “double participation in our Masters program” this semester.

If students have not signed up for an intramural team, they can add themselves to a free agent list and possibly be contacted by a team manager, Bailey said.

Students can participate in Demo Week through Monday. Program classes will officially begin Tuesday.

Contact recreational services reporter Sean Daugherty at [email protected].