Honors College finds home sweet home

Amanda Stanley

The trek to the Honors College in Van Campen Hall has always been a long one. This fall, that will no longer be the case.

The college made its move from Van Campen to the new Johnson and Stopher this past month.

According to the University Architect’s Web site, Johnson Hall is completed, while Stopher Hall still needs some finishing touches.

University administrators hope the new, centrally located buildings will attract more honors students to live in the dorms. Johnson and Stopher are a shorter walk to places like the Student Center.

“We are most excited about being at the academic heart of campus,” said Victoria Bocchicchio, coordinator of curriculum for the Honors College. “We’re surrounded by Bowman Hall, the Business Administration Building and others.”

Bocchicchio said students will be able to have more interaction with each other and faculty.

Johnson will house about 250 honors students, Bocchicchio said, and it filled up quickly. By comparison, Van Campen housed less than 30 percent of the honors students.

The $34 million new halls will offer more amenities for both faculty and students. New features include a library, computer lab, freshman English classrooms, student meeting rooms, reception areas and advising offices.

Michael Bruder, assistant director from the Office of the University Architect, said the new buildings are a reflection of what goes on inside.

“I think the new facility is quite dynamic. The finishes and colors are vibrant and energetic, like the college itself,” Bruder said.

New Honors College freshmen will have their orientation Thursday, Aug. 24 during Kent State’s Week of Welcome.

The Honors College will hold a celebration for its new home Oct. 14, during Kent State’s Homecoming weekend.

Van Campen has been home to the Honors College since 1989. Before that, the college was located in Bowman, Oscar Ritchie and North halls.

Contact Honors College reporter Amanda Stanley at [email protected].