Students support immigrant rights

Michael Lewis

The call to support the struggle for immigrant workers’ rights came to Kent State yesterday during a student-led protest boycotting classes, work and shopping.

The event, dubbed “A Day Without Immigrants,” took place in Risman Plaza as students from the International Socialist Organization spent the morning and early afternoon educating more than 30 people on the importance of immigrant labor.

The event fell on May Day, commonly referred to as International Workers’ Day, which celebrates the labor movement.

Jeremy Radabaugh, senior conflict management major and ISO member, said the aim of the protest is to legalize the status of millions of undocumented migrant workers by putting pressure on Congress.

“Our goal is to be part of this national day of action and to show how immigrants contribute in a system that relies so heavily on foreign workers,” Radabaugh said. “The International Socialist Organization supports the rights of all workers, foreign and native.”

The protest encourages immigrants to refrain from shopping while staying home from work and school, thus demonstrating the importance of immigrants to the U.S. economy. In hopes of gaining more support, organizers and immigrant workers waged a similar protest yesterday in Columbus.

Naomi Fortis, the daughter of an illegal immigrant from El Salvador, remembered her father working odd jobs to make ends meet. Fortis, sophomore international relations major, wore her white shirt in support of all immigrants, especially her mother and father protesting in Columbus.

“I’ve always understood what my father gave up by leaving his country and the risks he took coming here,” she said. “I want to get the word out to help immigrants.”

ISO participant Pablo Weishaupt, a junior Spanish major, said he supports all migrant workers.

“We’re fighting for amnesty for immigrant workers,” he said. “They are an integral part of this country’s economy.”

Contact safety reporter Michael Lewis at [email protected].