Broadway play coming to Theodore Roosevelt High School

Meredith Compton

A professional production of “Late Night Catechism 2” is being brought to Theodore Roosevelt High School on Saturday. The production is a one-woman show that pokes fun at church traditions such as penance and the Ten Commandments. Theodore Roosevelt’s production will star Colleen Moore of New York City.

The Rough Rider Association, a group that raises money to purchase equipment for the school’s athletic teams, is bringing the production to the school. The association hopes to raise money from the production in order to purchase video equipment for the athletic department.

“We want to be able to have filming equipment so coaches can film students and games in order to train the students,” said Charlene Badger, publicity chairmen for the production. “We also want to use (the equipment) to show college scouts for scholarships (for the students). The parents can’t be at all the games with video equipment.”

The idea for holding this type of production came about when Pam Marshall, Rough Rider Association’s vice chairman, saw another school holding a different Broadway production and brought the idea to the association. Marshall then contacted the New York company that was putting on the production and got information, Badger said.

Marshall has been in daily contact with the New York group, Badger said, helping to set up a session in which the director will speak to the students involved in the production. The students involved are helping to set up and build sets.

“The director is from Cleveland, so she is going to come in the day before the show and speak to students,” Badger said. “She’s going to tell them what it’s like to work in theater as a career.”

The association chose this particular play based on its content and familiarity.

“We wanted something that would be funny and fun that is also a familiar name,” Badger said. “We felt there’d be a familiarity there.”

The association is also hoping to raise additional money through another familiar practice – a raffle.

Some of the athletic teams will be creating themed gift baskets for the raffle. Themes for these baskets include Ohio State University items and a “movie night.” A single raffle ticket can be purchased for $1, or six tickets can be purchased for $5.

Along with the special items to be raffled off, special concessions will be provided as well.

“We’re trying to have some nice dessert-type items rather than just regular concessions,” Badger said. “We’re trying to set up a nice atmosphere.”

Badger sees the production as a great opportunity for students.

“It’s a great opportunity to see a Broadway production in Kent rather than going to Cleveland,” she said. “It’s a really close up opportunity if you’re involved in theater.”

Tickets are $25 per person and can be purchased at the Roosevelt High School Athletic Office. A limited number of tickets are also available at all Kent Credit Union branches. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium.

Contact performing arts reporter Meredith Compton at [email protected].