USS delays final meeting

Breanne George

The Undergraduate Student Senate canceled what was to be their final meeting yesterday because of the illness of Ross Miltner, senator for community affairs and newly inaugurated executive director.

Miltner is sick with mononucleosis, said Preston Mitchum, newly inaugurated senator for academic affairs.

Outgoing Executive Director Bill Ross said the USS will have their final meeting at 3:40 p.m. Monday in the Governance Chambers.

The USS planned to debate and vote on changes to next year’s Allocations Committee guidelines, Ross said. A major proposed change includes the removal of two permanent seats held by Black United Students and the Inter-Greek Programming Board. Currently, the USS, All-Campus Programming Board, BUS and IGPB hold permanent seats. The change would make seven at-large seats on the Allocations Committee.

Another proposed change involves funding eligibility requirements.

The guidelines currently say that a program has to directly benefit all undergraduate students. The change would be to remove the word “all” so not to hinder programs that could benefit a large portion of the student body from receiving funding.

Katie Hale, administrative assistant for the USS, said the final meeting acts as a transitional meeting where the new senate would assume their

positions.

Ross said the current senate planned to give closing statements prior to the passing of the gavel to Miltner. Ross said he planned to give an informal speech to thank the current senate. The newly inaugurated senate would then take over the rest of the meeting.

Ross said the 2005 senate also planned to hear a presentation by two members of the Kent State Tobacco Prevention Task Force.

“They wanted to talk to us about making the Student Center smoke-free including the outside area by the doors,” Ross said.

Contact student politics reporter Breanne George at [email protected].