Kent’s College of Technology rated among top in nation

Holly Mueller

The College of Technology’s metal casting and foundry program is one of the best in the nation, and its students are getting jobs.

Michael Dragomier, assistant professor for the College of Technology, said the Foundry Educational Foundation visited the college last Wednesday to inspect the program and rate it on a scale from one to six, with one being the lowest.

“It’s virtually impossible to receive a six,” he said. “But we received a five.”

Dragomier said a foundry is much like using big patterns and filling them with metal to make a shape.

Dragomier added that metal castings are common, and they produce the commodities that make our lives so comfortable today.

“You are never more than 10 feet away from a casting in our universe,” he said. “Your zipper, indoor plumbing, transportation, computers – they are all made by metal castings.”

Nolan Quade, senior general technology major and president of Kent student chapter of the American Foundry Society, said the foundation helps students get jobs, especially in AFS.

The FEF also helps students with networking, Quade said.

“In the last two weeks alone, three or four people have contacted me for interviews,” he said.

The job placement rate in the foundry business is amazing, Dragomier said.

“The starting pay is excellent, and within eight years of starting in the business, you can be a manager for your plant,” he said.

Dragomier also said women are very marketable in the male-dominated metal casting and foundry industry.

Jess Tinker, sophomore general technology major, said she feels very marketable.

“As a girl, you are different than everyone else. People remember you,” she said.

The FEF also provides scholarships for students who are in the Kent student chapter of the American Foundry Society, said Raj Chowdhury, dean of the College of Technology.

“The group provides every year at least $30,000 in scholarship money to our technology students pursuing careers in the foundry industry,” Chowdhury said.

Quade said he has received two scholarships totaling about $1,750 from the FEF.

Contact College of Technology reporter Holly Mueller at [email protected]