Faculty senator wants to abandon ‘Kiva’ name

Derek Lenehan

Faculty senator Thomas Norton-Smith is proposing a resolution to abandon the name of the Kiva, the Student Center’s auditorium.

“Be it resolved that calling the Kent State Student Center auditorium Kiva is inappropriate, showing an ignorance of, insensitivity to, or disrespect for an indigenous religious tradition, and the Faculty Senate urges that the name Kiva be immediately abandoned,” Norton-Smith, an associate philosophy professor, wrote in a portion of the proposal.

A kiva is traditionally defined as an underground chamber used by Pueblo tribes for religious ceremonies or rituals.

“Whereas calling the Kent State Student Center auditorium Mosque, Temple, or Church would be clearly inappropriate, showing an ignorance of, insensitivity to, or disrespect for more familiar religious traditions,” another portion of the proposal said.

Jon Harper, assistant director of the Student Center, who has visited the Southwest several times, saw little reason to change the name.

“The way I understood it from the architect, they’d dig out a bowl for a meeting place under ground,” he said, referring to the Pueblo Indians. “When you go into the Kiva you go down.”

Harper also said that he had never been aware of kivas serving a religious function.

“Nobody ever called kivas in old Pueblos’ property ‘holy ground,'” he said. “I’m not saying that they are right or wrong, but I’ve never heard it called holy,” he said, referring to people that feel the name is inappropriate.

The proposal may come before the faculty in March, though Norton-Smith only specified bringing the proposal up “sometime this spring.”

Contact academic affairs reporter Derek Lenehan at [email protected].