Letters to the Editor

‘Stater’ editorital board needs a reality check

Dear Editor,

I was frustrated to read the editorial “No goblins in Kent.” The Daily Kent Stater editorial board saw fit to congratulate the Kent Police Department because they “showed remarkable restraint during Halloween weekend.” This is a very wrong reason to commend the police department. The police department should be commended more frequently for doing what they do every day. They catch criminals, help citizens and make this city safer for everyone. If there had been more arrests this weekend for underage drinking and public intoxication, they would still deserve our gratitude, because that is a part of their job.

The police are expected to be courteous, efficient and, most of all, professional in all circumstances. Even though this weekend the officers were “more than happy to pose for pictures or offer a friendly high-five,” they cannot be expected to be like this all of the time. Oftentimes, officers are reporting to volatile situations where they must assess what is going on in mere moments and make a decision. Over the weeks following any misinformed or questionable decision, the Stater will proceed to second-guess it.

Lastly, the hypocrisy behind this article is in-between the lines. The editorial board makes it sound as if the police are expected to turn a blind eye toward some of the youthful indiscretions that occur around and off campus. However, the police cannot ignore complaints of a party going late and getting rowdy or a student walking down the street and swaying badly enough to be a danger to himself. As the Stater editorial board has previously written, “Kent State student = temporary guest.”

The police are an organization that focus on the community’s own concerns, and the concerns of many non-student residents here is getting a good night’s sleep and not worrying about beer cups on their lawns. I cannot speak on behalf of the police department, but I am appalled at the underlying ignorance in this article. It’s time to grow up and realize that we have laws for a reason and people to enforce them. These people deserve our respect and commendations on a normal basis, not because your Halloween party went off without a hitch.

Patrick D. Neumann

Junior justice studies major

Anti-war committee doesn’t support troops

Dear Editor:

I read the article in regards to the anti-war protest, and I find it dissapointing that citizens in America are supporting our troops by undermining our freedom. Democracy isn’t free; while these anti-war protestors support our freedom by paying taxes, our soldiers are supporting our freedom by being willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice of life. Such selfishness – lack of support for these troops – infuriates me to no end. I applaud the low turn-out for the protest. As quoted they “will not stand for military presence on campus.” So what are they saying to the ROTC cadets, such as myself?

Army or Air Force, we stand united as future leaders of America, who wear the uniform with pride and not as a burden. I am offended when I see the hypocrisy of their slogan. Support our troops – but not here! I’m sure their 2,000 will make a difference. It is organizations such as the anti-war committee that make me proud of my military affiliation with the Air Force. I have had many people, whom I have never met, come up to me (in uniform) and tell me how much respect they have for me simply because I am representing the fighting forces that are defending our freedom.

Let these rebels speak out if they may, let them get their 2,000 signatures – heck I’ll even help them and sign – but I see them with scorn in my eyes. They are not patriots; they are not supporting anything just nor lending a helping hand by serving our community. They are mere pawns, fish in the sea, ants in a colony; they will accomplish nothing until they truly support our troops.

Nick Kulesza

Sophomore computer science major

United States Air Force ROTC