University Orientation instructors wanted

Robert Taylor

University Orientation is now accepting applications for potential student instructors for Fall 2006.

Any student from a freshman to a senior is eligible to become a student instructor after taking a semester-long course that trains him or her. Completed applications will be accepted until Dec. 9.

“We are looking for individuals who want to provide leadership, support, mentoring and friendship to freshmen students,” said Lauren Pernetti, the academic program coordinator. “We are looking for students who are committed to Kent State and understand that University Orientation is a serious class, not a blow-off.”

First-semester freshman students should not shy away from filling out an application just because they haven’t had a lot of experience at the university, Pernetti said.

“One of the reasons I like to include freshmen students is because they are an untapped resource,” Pernetti said.

Applications are available at Undergraduate Studies, which is located on the first floor of Olson Hall, or from current student instructors. Interested students who contact Undergraduate Studies will be sent an application immediately upon request.

The applications are not available online because when a student turns in the application he or she must inform Undergraduate Studies of which section they wish to be enrolled in, Pernetti said. A student cannot schedule their desired class themselves because the sessions are controlled.

Once a student enrolls in a training class, a two-credit hour lower-division class will be added to his or her schedule for the Spring 2005 semester. That class will meet either one or two days a week and run for 12 weeks, including three Saturday sessions that are outlined in the application.

“We try to make it interesting and fun while at the same time teaching you what you need to know to become a successful student instructor,” said Cara Collmer from the Student Advising Center about the course.

Aside from looking great on a resume, the opportunity to change a student’s life is just one of the reasons to join up with University Orientation, Pernetti said.

“This is probably one of the best opportunities a student can take advantage of,” Pernetti said. “It makes a contribution to the university, to the student’s college, to Undergraduate Studies, to University Orientation, and of course the growth that the student experiences.”

Contact Graduate/Undergraduate Studies Reporter Robert Taylor at [email protected].