Buying pages on low wages

Jessica Lentine

Local bookstores offer students options

Incoming students rush to the KSU student center bookstore to buy their books for upcoming classes.

Credit: Beth Rankin

For most students, the start of every new semester is marked by a trip to the bookstore.

Whether you’re a freshman wondering where to buy your books or a senior ready to change your routine, you have many choices as to where to buy books.

University Bookstore

The University Bookstore, located on the first floor in the Student Center, may be the most convenient place for students living on campus to buy their books.

“We have the largest selection of used books on this campus,” textbook manager Curtis Lamb said in an e-mail. “We’re located conveniently in the Student Center, and we provide excellent customer service.”

Students can save an extra 10 percent on used textbooks on Aug. 27, between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.

The bookstore will be open extended hours beginning Aug. 29, but Lamb said it is best to buy your textbooks as soon as possible.

“(Buying) used books is the best way to save money on textbooks,” Lamb said. “We always try to provide used books when it’s possible.”

The University Bookstore also offers the option of ordering books online. You can submit your class schedule on the bookstore’s Web site and pick your texts up without waiting in line.

“Your books can also be shipped to your front door,” Lamb said.

The University Bookstore will grant full refunds until Sept. 6 with a receipt.

DuBois Book Store

DuBois Book Store, located at 332 S. Lincoln St., offers many special offers and promotions as well as an easy-ordering method called Books-In-A-Flash.

Books-In-A-Flash is a program that allows students to order their books ahead of time and pick them up without waiting in long lines. With just an e-mail address and class schedule, students can fax their textbook order, submit an order online or bring their schedule into the store. The deadline for submitting an order is Aug. 19, and students can pick their books up Aug. 22 through 28.

DuBois also offers FlashPoints that students receive by taking their textbook receipts upstairs to the supply department.

“We give a point for every dollar a student spends on their textbooks,” manager Hal DuBois said, “and every dollar they get back during book buyback.”

The points accumulate over time, and when a student reaches 500 points, they can redeem the points for a $10 gift certificate that can be used toward apparel and supplies.

Other special offers will be offered in the store during August and September.

Beginning Aug. 22, DuBois Main Street Express, a second location on Main Street across from Terrace Hall, will be selling books for 10000 through 30000 level classes. These classes are typically freshmen, sophomore and junior level classes.

DuBois Main Street Express will be open through Sept. 10. Full refunds will be granted through Sept. 10 with a receipt.

Campus Book and Supply

Campus Book and Supply, located at 112 S. Lincoln St., is a “one-stop shop,” said manager Trish Hellenthal. The store sells textbooks, apparel, school supplies and Greek merchandise.

Customers also receive a College Discount card offering various rewards. Students receive $20 off purchases over $200, $5 off purchases over $75 and numerous discounts at restaurants and businesses in Kent.

“They have a great selection,” junior marketing major Ashley Messer said. “I always end up buying more than what I came for.”

At Campus Book and Supply, Hellenthal said that whether books will be used the following semester is a factor in how much a student receives when selling books back. She also said that sometimes it depends on how many of that book the store already has in stock.

Students can return books until Sept. 6 with a receipt. New books must still be in new condition and shrinkwrapped.

Contact general assignment reporter at Jessica Lentine at [email protected].