Culture shocks Risman Plaza with food, dance

Carrie Scully

Ayat Shendy, sophomore biology major, dances during Cultral Shock, sponsored by All Campus Programming Board.

Credit: Andrew popik

The sounds of tropical music, the smell of guava BBQ ribs and the sights of traditional dances, costumes and colorful jewelry took students on a cultural experience around the world yesterday in Risman Plaza. The experience was all part of the “Culture Shock: Ethnic Explosion,” sponsored by All Campus Programming Board.

The purpose of the event was to expose students to different cultures and give them the opportunity to learn something new, said Harika Nagavelli, ACPB festival arts chair.

“The event highlights the beauty of cultural diversity in America and brings it to Risman Plaza,” said Nagavelli, senior pre-med major.

“There are a lot of different cultures here,” said Bailey Broadbent, freshman marketing major. “It’s different. (This music) is not what you normally listen to everyday.”

The music bands, dance troops and vendors featured at the event traveled to Kent State from many different parts of the country, Nagavelli said.

“Everyone has a culture and tradition,” she said. “This event brings that to the foreground.”

Richard Graber, director of the Csárdás Dance Company, brought his dance company to the event.

“Cultural diversity is important; dance speaks universally and helps to bridge the gaps,” Graber said.

Esther Caldron, graduate student in bio-medical science, said she would like to see more cultural events like this brought to campus.

“It broadens your mind about what is out there and makes you want to learn more about the world,” Caldron said. “There are so many things that we don’t know about.”

Contact College of Business Administration reporter Carrie Scully at [email protected].