Records fall in track tune-up

Joshua Echt

The Kent State track team held a tune-up track meet at the field house on Saturday. The meet had several schools participating and helped participants practice for real races.

Credit: Joshua Echt

The Kent State track team broke two school records as it played host to the Kent State Tune-Up at the Fieldhouse Saturday.

Junior Mike Inge’s record performance in the 1,000-meter race with a time of 2:21.02 anchored a solid effort for the men’s team while senior Jennifer Fascione’s effort in the 1,000 (2:50.63) went in the women’s team record book.

“The Tune-Up is meant for individuals to do well and prepare for the Mid-American Conference meet next week,” coach Wendel McRaven said.

The meet is not team-scored. Several events, including the 55 and 600, are not used in the MAC or NCAA meets. Some conferences, like the Big Ten and Big 12, use the 600 and 1,000 for competition.

However, McRaven said the new events are good training races for certain individuals.

“Mike Inge runs the open 800 and also the 1,200-meter leg of the distance medley,” McRaven said. “The 1,000-meter run at the Tune-Up gives him good practice.”

Inge has a hand in four men’s indoor track records at Kent State. He holds the record for the 600, 800 and 1000. Inge is also a member of the distance medley relay team.

Senior Marc Mitchell won the 300 and placed second in the long jump. Sophomores Ryan Schroeder and Ryan Spellman shined in the middle-distance and distance events. Schroeder placed second in the 800 with a personal-best 1:52.36, which is sixth-best all time at Kent State. He said he attributes his success to his team.

“I have a great group of guys to train with,” Schroeder said. “The coaches are great because they give good workouts.”

Spellman placed second in the 5,000 while sophomore Chad Clemons won the high jump and junior Brent Shelby won the shot put. Senior Jennifer Fascione led the women’s efforts with her record-setting 1000 time. Sophomore Stephanie Hunt won the 200 with a personal-best 24.76, which ranks her fifth all time on the indoor list.

“I followed my workout plans,” Hunt said. “There is less mileage, but the workouts are faster.”

Senior Jeanna Fascione placed second in the 800 while sophomore Erin Reese won the long jump and placed second in the 55-meter hurdles.

Junior Jackie Rodgers second-place effort in the pole vault and sophomore Megan Bair’s second-place effort in the high jump gave the field events a good showing. Senior Breann Smith won the shot put with a toss of 50-1.75.

The teams will compete at the MAC Indoor Championships in Mount Pleasant, Mich., Saturday and Sunday.

Contact track and field reporter Josh Echt at [email protected].