Kent State wins with slim margin vs. BGSU

Kali Price

n-high score, but it just was not enough Friday night.

By a mere 0.225 points, Kent State gymnastics posted a second consecutive Mid-American Conference win over Bowling Green (1-4, 1-3 MAC). The Flashes (3-1, 2-0 MAC) won the meet 194.30-194.075 in a come-from-behind effort.

The Flashes started off the meet by trailing Bowling Green in the first two rotations. With scores of 48.325-47.95 on the vault and 48.5-48.1 on the uneven bars, the Flashes were forced to beat Bowling Green in the next two rotations.

Kent State did just that. For the second week in a row, the Flashes managed to win both the balance beam and floor exercise rotations. They earned a score above 194 points for a second consecutive week.

Led by freshman Kristin Peters, the Flashes took the top three spots on the balance beam. Peters ended senior Erika Linnersten’s two-week run placing first. Peters scored a career-high 9.925, followed by sophomore Natalie Strasser with a score of 9.850. Linnersten finished in third place, earning a 9.825 mark.

Peters also had another personal best on the uneven bars with a score of 9.9.

The underclassmen led the Flashes on Friday night, even though the team welcomed back senior Earline Feugill. Feugill, who has been out with an injury for the past three weeks, only competed on the vault and scored 9.7.

Freshman Phylicia Robertson tied for first place on vault, scoring 9.725. Roberston tied for second in the floor exercise with sophomore Amy Cucinotta. Robertson and Cucinotta scored 9.875.

For the second consecutive week, junior Carrie Mayle placed in the top three on all-around. Mayle walked away with a second place score of 38.450.

The Flashes next face MAC rival Western Michigan with Rhode Island at 7 p.m. Friday at home.

Contact gymnastics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].