Kent State joins SEA Change initiative to advance diversity, equity, inclusion in STEMM

Zaria Johnson, Editor-In-Chief

Kent State joined the SEA Change initiative Friday as a commitment to creating more diverse, inclusive and equitable spaces for students in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine.

The American Association for the Advancement of Science began SEA Change, which stands for STEMM Equity Achievement, in 2018 to “support institutions as they undertake an in-depth self-assessment process to identify barriers to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) for their students, faculty, and staff members,” the university press release stated.

SEA Change stands out from other similar programs because it puts the responsibility of promotion and implementation of diversity equity, and inclusion on the institution rather than those who face discrimination and marginalization, the AAAS press release stated.

Kent State is one of three institutions working with SEA Change along with the University of Texas in Dallas and the University of Southern Mississippi.

Research shows that diverse faculty and staff have a positive effect on student learning, and SEA Change provides Kent State with the opportunity to bring improved DEI to Kent’s campuses, said Vice President for the Division of Diversity Equity and Inclusion Amoaba Gooden.

“I’m really hoping that with Kent State joining SEA Change it would … strengthen our own strategic initiatives around equity,” Gooden said in the press release. “I think that there [are] a lot…great reasons to join SEA Change in terms of collaborating with other institutions. I think one of the benefits of collaboration is that it advances DEI work in a very nuanced way.”

Zaria Johnson is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].