Haymaker Farmers’ Market returns to Kent Campus

Sunflower+microgreens+from+Forestview+Farmhouse.+Forestview+Farmhouse+has+partnered+with+Mamalagels+Bagels+to+provide+an+indulgent+brunch+bag%E2%80%93+farm+fresh+eggs%2C+microgreens+and+bagels.+

Sunflower microgreens from Forestview Farmhouse. Forestview Farmhouse has partnered with Mamalagel’s Bagels to provide an indulgent brunch bag– farm fresh eggs, microgreens and bagels.

Madison Goerl, Reporter

Twenty family farms are returning to Kent Campus April 26 in collaboration with Kent State of Well-being.

In addition to fresh produce, students can find crafts, workshops, sweet treats and live music at the Haymaker Farmers’ Market. The market will run from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Design Innovation Hub.

“We are a big food community and it’s great to be able to bring it to the university,” said Lizette Barton, the president of Haymaker’s board of directors and owner of Barton Farms and Gardens.

The owner of Audrey’s Baked Creations, sophomore entrepreneurship major Audrey Ernst, believes this is a natural collaboration.

“It’s a perfect fit,” Ernst said. “College students are always looking for something fun to do.”

Honey from Kline Honeybee farm.

Shopping at the farmers market allows students to access nutritious alternatives of their grocery essentials. There are endless reasons to support local farmers markets, said the owner of Kline Honeybee Farm, Matt Kline.

“Buying local honey is important in a lot of ways. It has allergy benefits, saves resources, and benefits the local wildlife,” Kline said. “It’s also a great way to support a local family and in a way, the community.”

Barton Farms and Gardens brings healthier options to the Kent community with their traditional preservation methods.

“Our jellies and jams have 50 percent less sugar than those you can find at the grocery store,” Barton said. “We use all local fruit that comes from a 50-mile radius of our house.”

Brockett Family Farm aims to make all of its products as natural as possible, co-owner Ed Morgan said. As the seventh generation to inherit the family farm, Ed and his wife, Danielle Morgan, prioritize quality.

“We make sure to raise livestock without antibiotics or hormones and make sure to instill these values in every generation,” Morgan said.

Haymaker Farmers’ Market can also be found on Franklin Ave. on Saturdays from April through November.

Madison Goerl is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].