Finding a home in gaming

Adam Kring, Reporter

Thiago Mendes came to Kent State from his home in Brazil hoping to grow as a person and further his education. What he did not know is that his love for League of Legends, one of the biggest games in the world, would help him adjust to his new home.

Mendes, also known by his online alias “Scadushi” is a varsity player for the Kent State League of Legends team and is one of this year’s new members on the team. Now in his third semester at Kent, he is still adjusting to the change in scenery and culture.

“I was very anxious and didn’t know what to expect,” Mendes said. “It was really hard adjusting to the weather, coming from a tropical country, as well as learning how things work here.”

“We came with 10 or 15 Brazilians when I arrived here, without them it would have been more difficult,” Mendes said. “In Brazil, we have a more difficult and different reality where we have to be much more unified and together, but you guys here are much more independent.”

Thiago Mendes playing League of Legends. (Photo courtesy of Ben Vrobel)

Mendes is not without his supporters on campus. “During the games, he has his whole group of people that come cheer for him live,” said Ben Vrobel, varsity Rocket League player and social media manager for Kent State Esports. “I personally have seen the warmth he has from the people around him, and it is really great to see.”

The process of moving so far away from home was very long and strenuous for Mendes, but with the aid of video games, he has remained connected and comfortable in his new environment.

“Playing video games for me has been this escape from reality,” Mendes said. “It’s been a good thing for me to concentrate on, to help me be OK with all the things going on around me.”

It took months of being on campus before Mendes realized that Kent had an Esports program. The idea of Esports had never crossed his mind until he had a math class in the library and saw the Esports Arena.

“I never had this dream to be a professional or college player or anything,” Mendes said. “Games are one of my main hobbies and passions, so to be able to work and play with them every day has been great for me. Working with the same thing that you love is awesome.”

Even though this journey into collegiate Esports wasn’t planned for Mendes, he was able to find friends and people that have helped him mentally deal with being so far away from home.

Mendes’ teammates and others involved in the Esports program have been crucial to him.

“It’s good I have this here, because I feel more at home when I am with the team,” Mendes said. “They probably don’t know this, but they helped me out a lot with my English and communication skills especially. They probably don’t know this, but that has been very important to me.”

Adam Kring is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].