Second annual Live Like Lou 5K aims to raise awareness for ALS

Blake Serrano, Reporter

Community members and students will be able to participate in the second annual Live Like Lou 5K race/walk on Feb. 25 which raises awareness and funds for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease.

The event is put on by the Ohio Lambda chapter of Phi Delta Theta. The title of the 5K references baseball player Lou Gehrig who was diagnosed with ALS and was a Phi Delta Theta brother.

The 5K is open to the general public and participants will pick up race packets starting at 10 a.m. The 5K will officially start at noon at Risman Plaza.

Christian Ohle is the Phi Delta Theta public relations chair and is in charge of the event. Ohle said he is hopeful that the event will attract more participants after the success of last year’s 5K.

“It was a lot harder to get numbers last year,” Ohle said. “This year we have a base to build off of, which convinces more people to sign up.”

Ohle credits Joseph Beatty’s family, Phi Delta Theta brother, for their assistance in putting on the race. The Beatty family’s company, Race Management Solutions, donated professional timing and finish line services for the 5K, as well as offering race updates through apps and websites.

Ohle also said that the Beatty family helped tremendously with prioritizing tasks and planning the event.

“Mr. Beatty has first-hand experience in hosting races,” Ohle said. “So he’s led the way in telling me what I should prioritize.”

Ohle said he hopes the event will help with the fraternity’s fundraising goal of $10,000, while also establishing a tradition that everyone can look forward to each year.

First place winners will be presented with handcrafted trophies and a $50 Visa gift card. All participants will be able to view photos from the race and download custom finisher certificates on the event website.

Participants can register for the 5K individually or as a relay team with a maximum of five participants. Participants are also required to pay a registration fee of $20 if they register by Feb. 24 or a $25 fee if they register on race day.

For more information about the 5K, visit the website.

Blake Serrano is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].