Kent State partnership with the University of Rwanda brings new opportunities to students

Ashley Caudill, Reporter

Kent State and the University of Rwanda developed a program in 2018 that has grown rapidly to provide unique opportunities to students.

The University of Rwanda is hosting Kent State and the two universities will collaboratively focus on peace and conflict studies. A center dedicated to Kent State will have a fully functioning faculty to assist Rwandan and American students in admissions and academic counseling.

The University of Rwanda is the only public university in Rwanda, a small country with over 13 million people. For both universities, there are endless possibilities and benefits that this partnership will bring to students.

Pacifique Niyonzima, a graduate student and an international admissions graduate appointee in the Office of Global Education, was born and raised in Rwanda.

Niyonzima was an intern for the vice chancellor at the University of Rwanda in 2018. During his summer in Rwanda, an idea sparked which grew to be the partnership between the two universities. It has been a dream of his to help his home country and bring resources to them that he believes are needed.

“As a student when I did my internship, I had this big dream and without the support of Kent State, the University of Rwanda and the country of Rwanda, this dream could not come true,” Niyonzima said.

“It’s an exciting project and Rwanda needs it and we need it. This partnership between the University of Rwanda and Kent State is a perfect match.”

The program is designed to bring students new opportunities in a new country that is rich in history.

The Rwandan Genocide against the Tutsi lasted nearly 100 days and killed thousands in 1994. The devastating event has left lasting impacts on the country and its people. However, the country has built itself back in an astounding manner.

“Sometimes the students go with the expectation that a country that has been through genocide is now poor, there is conflict and they may not be safe,” Niyonzima said. “But Rwanda is now the safest country in Africa, the city of Kigali is the cleanest city in Africa, they have the highest number of women in government in the country, and they are one of the top countries sending peacekeepers to other countries.”

Vice president of the Office of Global Education, Marcello Fantoni, recently returned from a trip to Rwanda.

“I totally fell in love with Africa. I like the people, I think that there is a tremendous need for education in Africa,” Fantoni said. “Education, I think, is what could be the most important help that we could provide to help Africa develop in the right way. I feel that there is a meaning in what we do.”

The international student population origin has shifted between different countries over the last few years. Africa is not commonly on that list.

“Traditionally, American universities – and Kent State is one of them – send their students to Europe. I believe, we believe, that there is a lot to learn in the world,” Fantoni said.

“Studying abroad in Africa, it’s not that common. But there are enormous opportunities for students to learn in different areas. We want to push students so that they become stronger and more open-minded.”

This program will bring Kent State and Rwandan students together and emerge both universities into each other’s cultures, bringing a new perspective to their education and lives.

“When students go there they learn about peace and it is a treat for them,” Niyonzima said. “Not only are they walking as American students, they are walking with local students. They go to class together, they exchange ideas, they do presentations together. It’s amazing.”

Expanding Kent State’s campus and resources allows students and staff to no longer limit their education based on location. The university is looking for its next program center to be located in Vietnam.

“Rwanda is part of a bigger picture. I think with the times that the university is limited by being located somewhere, those times are over,” Fantoni said.

“It is more and more important to bring our education abroad, and be present where our education is required. This is why we really are committed to creating a global footprint.”

Ashley Caudill is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]