Mizell Stewart III tackles ‘the greatest ethical challenge’ in Dix Media Ethics Lecture

Kait Murray

Mizell Stewart III speaks in Franklin Hall March 1, 2023 at the third annual Dix lecture in media and ethics.

Danielle Stehle, Reporter

As everyone took their seats and the chatter died down, journalism associate professor Gretchen Hoak checked the mic. She straightened her posture and greeted everyone with a smile as she introduced the third annual Dix Media Ethics lecture.

College of Communication and Information Dean Amy Reynolds spoke on the history of the lecture.

“Ethics is central to what we do and we couldn’t do this without Dix’s support so I thank you both,” Reynolds said.

Hoak returned to the podium with papers in hand.

“Mizell Stewart III is passionate about developing the next generation of newsroom leaders, community service and journalists’ critical role in a democratic society,” Hoak said. “Please join me in welcoming Mizell Stewart.”

Throughout his speech, Mizell Stewart III, award-winning reporter and president and CEO of Emerging Leaders, redefined local journalism.

The Dix Media Ethics lecture was established in 2018 through a gift of $100,000 by Janet and David Dix to the School of Media and Journalism. They were inspired to launch an annual spring lecture series that would feature professionally known figures discussing the main problems in media ethics.

Just as David and Janet Dix are aware of the problems with journalism ethics, Stewart III understands the trust in journalism “hovers at an all-time low.”

To gain the trust in journalism, a reporter must understand what civic responsibility and citizenship mean, according to Stewart III. A reporter must be an active and contributing citizen for the greater good of society.

To put the people first means to “provide citizens with factually accurate information, inspire citizen engagement and serve as a check on community institutions,” Stewart III said.

Mizell Stewart III and Associate Professor Gretchen Hoak answer students’ questions after the lecture March 1, 2023. (Kait Murray)

He said the increasing dominance of national news sources and the shift away from fact-based reporting has created a “toxic stew [that’s] dangerous for democracy.”

“Accountability journalism and local information in a functioning democracy should be taken as a civic good rather than a luxury,” Stewart III said.

Not only is Stewart III aware of this, but Hoak said she understands why it’s necessary to shed light on the importance of journalism as a civic good.

“In all of the noise from the national news, it is easy to miss the importance of ground-level in community-based journalism,” Hoak said.

In Hoak’s own similar journalism experiences, she knows that it all comes down to a reporter’s values and allowing their own “little voice inside to guide” them.

“As journalists, you’re still human,” Hoak said. “The job can be tough and difficult but it doesn’t have to be unethical.”

Stewart III encourages students and the community to trust themselves through difficult situations and to get out of their comfort zone.

“Move forward boldly with courage,” Stewart III said. “You can build the future that you want rather than the future that you’re being handed.”

Danielle Stehle is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].