Students discuss catching up on homework, relaxing during fall break

As fall break draws close, Kent State students are planning for their time off. This is only the second year where the break, which spans from Oct. 10 to 13, has been part of the academic calendar. 

Proposed in February 2017, the addition of a break to the fall term was officially implemented during the 2018 fall semester. To accommodate this change, fall classes now start two days sooner.     

Although this break may stir up thoughts of changing leaves and pumpkin patches, for many students this is a time to catch up on school work.

Kaylyn Lloyd, a freshman applied communications major, looks forward to seeing friends and family over break and wants to work ahead on school assignments. 

“As much as I want to just relax, I’d like to get myself ahead so that I’m a little less stressed,” she said. 

As a member of the university’s marching band, Lloyd will be splitting her break between home and Kent in order to play at the Kent State football game on Saturday.

Kylah Carter, a junior fashion merchandising major, is staying in the area over fall break and would like to find a way to balance work and play.

“I’m definitely going to try to take a break from school, but honestly a little bit of both because I want to kind of get ahead,” Carter said. “Maybe the first half of break I’ll try to get ahead a lot and then the other two days, just relax.” 

Carter also wants to volunteer during her time off. In particular, she plans on volunteering with ReStore, a part of Habitat for Humanity of Portage County, through Kent State’s Honors College. 

Cameron Aloway, a sophomore public relations major, also wants to balance his break between homework and relaxing. As a resident assistant, he will be staying in Kent during his days off.  

“I’m planning on working on a resume for becoming a PLTC (Peer Leadership Training Course) instructor over fall break,” he said.      

While many students are using their fall break to focus on coursework or jobs, some plan to actually take a break.

Sheldyn Geisbuhler, a freshman chemistry major, will be heading home during fall break. Geisbuhler will be working at a job, but plans on taking a break from school and relaxing. 

No matter how students spend their days away from class, many students agree that fall break provides a convenient, and much-needed, interruption to the fall semester.  

Contact Abigail Mack at [email protected].