SDS continues to advocate for emergency contraceptive vending machines

Alexandria Manthey, TV2 Reporter

Alexandria Manthey, TV2 Reporter

A new vending machine would be the first of its kind in Ohio. It does not sell chips or drinks, but emergency contraceptives. The proposed machine would be at Miami University.

A Miami University spokesperson said in a statement, “The proposed vending machine would dispense the over-the-counter contraceptive medication, Plan B, which delays or prevents ovulation, but does not end a pregnancy that has implanted, according to the Mayo Clinic. The proposed medication is not the “abortion pill” Mifeprex/mifepristone.The Associated Student Government is working to determine sourcing of products, costs and a potential on campus location. At this point there is neither any certainty that a vending machine will be installed, nor a specific time frame or date for completion of this proposed initiative.”

A vending machine that sells emergency contraceptive pills was installed on George Washington University’s campus. (Christian Zidouemba)

It could only be a matter of time and petition signatures to get one on Kent State’s campus.

Kent State’s Students for a Democratic Society has advocated for this same type of machine to make its way to Kent’s campus for months.

Their initiative first started after the Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade.

“We were thinking to ourselves, what can we do locally that can help people on our campus?” SDS Co-Chair Christopher Heller said.

Heller said the machine would give better access to students because of its close proximity and lower price point.

Some campus groups are also in support of this initiative, including Kent State’s chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Taiwo Mack, the ACLU director, provided a statement saying, “We as students have the right and ability to advocate for and protect our right to bodily autonomy. We wholeheartedly support Kent State’s SDS to get contraceptives to Kent State’s campus. We hope to forge a relationship with the student organization so that we can together get KSU students the contraceptive access they need and deserve.”

Heller said the next steps for the university and SDS is to obtain a permit for the machine and get permission from state government officials.

Alexandria Manthey is a TV2 reporter. Contact them at [email protected].