Davey Tree Expert Company expanding in Kent

Jacob Brooks, Reporter

The Davey Tree Expert Company, founded in 1880, revealed an expansion of its corporate headquarters in November.

The 40,000-square-foot addition was “badly needed,” said Dan Joy, executive vice president of Davey.

He said this addition essentially doubled the size of their existing space. Now, work is beginning on the next phase of Davey’s growth.

Renovation work has begun on two buildings on Davey’s campus that haven’t received major renovations since they were built in the mid-1980s.

In addition, another new project is underway. Known as the SEED campus, which stands for Science, Employee Education and Development, it will sit on the property of the former Oak Knolls Golf Club, which Davey purchased about six years ago.

There will be various aspects of the new campus built using pieces of a historic barn on the golf club property: an event space, an indoor climbing facility to train linemen and several research plots.

A new 70,000-square-foot building will house the Davey Institute, the company’s research and education sector.

“The building will double our classroom space, double our laboratory space,” Joy said.

Golf holes will be installed “for research and also fun,” he said. There will also be a 30-acre arboretum that will be open to the public.

SEED, which is projected to cost more than $75 million, is expected to be complete sometime in late 2024 or early 2025. Joy said Davey is expected to grow by about 70 employees over the next few years.

Davey’s SEED campus is an “asset to the community,” said Tom Wilke, economic development director for the city of Kent.

He said Davey’s plans will bring more out-of-town visitors to the community because of the amenities their campus will provide.

After the SEED campus is finished, there is the potential for even more construction, such as upgrades to maintenance buildings and a new canopy walk that would give visitors the chance to walk in the canopy of trees.

While plans are not yet finalized, Joy expects these projects to be complete and ready for use by 2026.

“It’s an exciting time. Obviously, a big investment into the organization, into our future, into Northeast Ohio. So, we’re excited about that,” he said.

Jacob Brooks is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]