Women’s lacrosse defeats Robert Morris for the first time ever

Matthew Franos, Reporter

The Kent State Women’s lacrosse team defeated Robert Morris 13-10 for the first time in program history, remaining undefeated in Mid-American Conference play.

“We’ve never beaten them before,” head coach Brianne Tierney said. “We always had a little bit of a block against them, being able to remove that block mentally was a big step.” 

The game had a bigger meaning as Tierney was coached by Robert Morris’ head coach, Katrina Silva, at Colgate University. 

“It’s always cool to go up against her,” Tierney said. “For her to say she’s proud of me is pretty nice.”

Kent State is 5-6 overall and 2-0 in conference play.

The Flashes played hard for coach Tierney as they opened the first quarter with four goals. Sophomore attack Megan Cook, senior attack Kenzie Sklar, freshman midfielder Zayda Crumpton, and freshman midfielder Emily Bond all scored, leading 4-3 after one quarter. 

Robert Morris tied the game with just one minute into the second quarter. 

Kent State’s defense shut down RMU for the remainder of the half. Junior attack Jackie Wolford scored while Sklar tacked on another, leading 6-4 at halftime. 

The Colonials opened the third quarter with a goal, but the Flashes quickly responded. Cook, Wolford, and senior defense Megan French scored three goals in four minutes to extend the lead. 

Robert Morris added a goal of its own, but Crumpton scored less than a minute later as the Flashes led 10-6 with one quarter remaining.

The Flashes gave up two goals at the beginning of the quarter as the Colonials closed in on the lead. The 10-8 game was the closest the Colonials would get. 

Wolford and Crumpton scored again. Junior defender Lily Miller then received a yellow card to put Kent State down a player for two minutes. Robert Morris scored two quick goals but Miller and the defense were able to hang on as Bond scored with thirty seconds left to end the game. 

“Whatever lessons we learned in our out of conference schedule, those lessons have translated,” Tierney said. “We are a little but more serious and a little bit more focused.”

Kent State will stay on the road, taking on Eastern Michigan on April 12 at 2 p.m.

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]