Women’s lacrosse drops second matchup against Robert Morris

Janson McNair

Jackie Wolford (left) tries to block a pass from Kelsey Nelson (center) at Kent State’s game against Robert Morris University Apr. 15.

Matthew Franos, Reporter

On April 5, in Moon Township, PA, the Kent State women’s lacrosse team defeated Robert Morris 13-10 for the first time in program history.

Saturday at home, the Flashes fell to the Colonials 13-12, ending their three-game win streak.

Kent State now sits at 6-7 overall with a 3-1 conference record. The Flashes are tied with Robert Morris for second place in the MAC while Central Michigan remains undefeated in conference play. 

Senior attack Kenzie Sklar scored the opening goal for the Flashes while junior attack Jackie Wolford scored in the last two minutes in the first quarter. Robert Morris scored throughout the quarter to take a 5-2 lead after one.

Sklar and Wolford scored again in the second quarter for the only two goals of the period. The Colonials tacked on three more goals to extend their lead, 8-4 at halftime.

Kenzie Sklar (right) attempts to get past an RMU defender at Kent State’s matchup against Robert Morris University Apr. 15. (Janson McNair)

Kent State had success in the third quarter behind two goals from Wolford and a goal from sophomore attack Allie Lee. Robert Morris scored two goals in the quarter, but the Flashes cut the lead to 10-7 heading into the final quarter.

KSU scored four straight goals in the first seven minutes of the fourth quarter to take the lead 11-10. Senior attack Morgan Kubicki scored while Lee added two and Wolford added another goal.

Robert Morris evened the score at 11 with seven minutes remaining, but Sklar scored with five minutes left to retake the lead for the Flashes. Kent State was unable to hang on to the lead as Robert Morris scored two goals in the final five minutes, securing the win.

Next up, Kent State will play Akron in Dix Stadium.

Gametime is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday, before a Saturday matchup against conference-leader Central Michigan. 

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].