Women’s lacrosse dominates Akron ahead of big game

Matthew Franos, Reporter

Last Saturday, the Kent State women’s lacrosse team suffered a one point loss to Robert Morris.

Wednesday, the Flashes dominated the school down the road in a 19-6 victory.

Senior attack and Kent State leading goal scorer Kenzie Sklar scored 8 goals on the way to a season sweep over Akron.

“It was awesome, it was the game we have been waiting for all year,” coach Brianna Tierney said. “Every shot it felt like it was just going in.”

Kent State started the game hot and never looked back as Sklar opened the scoring for the Flashes within the first two minutes. 

Sklar scored a hat trick in the opening quarter while junior attack Jackie Wolford added two goals. Freshman midfielder Zayda Crumpton added a goal of her own to take a 6-2 lead at the end of quarter one.

The second quarter was more of the same as the Flashes defense only conceded one goal. 

“(The defense) is playing very well individually in a way that helps the team,” Tierney said. “They are settling in a little bit more defensively and doing a great job protecting the eight.” 

Sklar added another three goals in the quarter while Crumpton added two. Wolford, senior attack Morgan Kubicki, sophomore attack Allie Lee and freshman midfielder Emily Bond scored a goal a piece to extend the lead to 15-3 at halftime. 

Kent State dominated the third quarter as Sklar added another two goals to her tally while Akron was unable to score. The Flashes led 17-3 with one quarter remaining.

The fourth quarter was smooth sailing for the Flashes as Wolford and Bond each scored to hold off the Zips. Akron scored three goals in the quarter but Kent State’s defense was too much for the Zips.

Kent State will host the undefeated conference leaders, Central Michigan, at 1 p.m. Saturday in Dix Stadium. 

“I think we are ready for it… everything about getting into the MAC tournament and potentially hosting is in our control right now and we’d like to keep that in our control,” Tierney said. “We just want to secure the bid and finish out this MAC season on top.”

Matthew Franos is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].