How Kent students celebrate Ramadan

Adriana Gasiewski, Reporter

With Eid al-Fitr approaching on April 20, many Kent State students have begun to reflect upon their celebration of Ramadan.

Ramadan is the holiest month in the Muslim faith, in which Muslims focus on how to improve themselves by fasting from food, drinks and intimate relationships.

“Some scholars argue even saying something verbally profane may invalidate the fast or at least make it deficient in a way,” said first-year computer science major and public relations intern at the Islamic Society of Akron and Kent, Yaseen Shaikh.

Fasting is one of the Five Pillars of Islam which are five important practices to the Muslim faith.

The Quran, which is the central text of the Muslim faith, was given to Muhammad, a prominent prophet, by the Muslim God Allah during the month of Ramadan.

“In the Quran, there is a chapter that talks about that night during which it was revealed,” Shaikh said. “In that chapter it says in Arabic, ‘It’s better than a thousand months.’”

The ways in which Kent students celebrate vary as some prefer to celebrate with friends and family.

“Me and my friends will usually go to the library and study and have our own little thing or we’ll grab dinner to break our fast. It really just depends,” sophomore managerial marketing and photography major Amirah Fouad said.

Youssra Abdrabou, first year biology pre-med major and public relations intern at the Islamic Society of Akron and Kent, said that Ramadan is the best time of the year due to its sense of community.

“It’s the best time of the year. Typically you spend more time with your family and community. Even though we always have activities at our local mosque, this is the time of the year where everybody is at the mosque,” Abbrabou said. Rawiya Al Musheifri, senior geology major and study abroad student from Omani, said that she has found a community away from home to celebrate Ramadan.

“The Omani community here always hosted Ramadan iftar. We gather as one family and cook together and enjoy different traditional dishes,” said Al Musheifri.

Ramadan’s focus is about self-growth, which, Fouad said, offers challenges at some points.

“For me personally, there isn’t a physical hard aspect about it, it’s more internal, like mental. It really teaches you to be disciplined and I think the hardest part is the battles you have within yourself,” said Fouad. “I would say the hardest part is getting in touch with your true self because that’s what we believe everyone is during Ramadan.”

Besides becoming in touch with one’s inner self, there are other challenges to celebrating Ramadan, like fasting.

“I think that changes daily, sometimes it might be fasting in general although usually it’s not too bad. Once your body gets used to it, you’re fine,” Abdrabou said.

Taking part in the holiday through means of worship is another tradition during Ramadan.

“Other times it’s worship, which you do everything you would normally do, but in the mosque specifically you really want to increase it because you get rewarded so much more,” Abdrabou said.

Sometimes challenges can arise from time restraints like having classes at later times.

“The most challenging part is work and school timing because in our home like my country, they reschedule the time for people who go to work and school,” said Al Musheifri.

Regardless of all the challenges, Shaikh said there are many things that make the holiday worth celebrating, such as the sense of community.

“It’s a positive environment that supports you in that endeavor. Like when you’re in any culture, any space, you even unconsciously conform to that culture so a culture that upholds your values and practices helps you work on them together,” Shaikh said.

Shaikh added that there is a deep sense of community within Kent’s Muslim Student Association.

A reason that many have often enjoyed celebrating the holiday is that it offers them the chance to empathize with others.

“Ramadan is a holy month for us. In this month we practice fasting because we want to feel those who are in hunger and surviving their lives every day. Happy Ramadan to you all,” wished Al Musheifri.

Adriana Gasiewski is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].