New initiatives in College of Nursing welcome incoming freshmen

Photo+by+Chania+Crawford.+

Photo by Chania Crawford.

Chania Crawford, Reporter

To prepare for the incoming freshmen class, the College of Nursing is launching initiatives to ensure the success of these incoming freshmen, with a special focus on first-generation students and students of color. 

Dean Versie Johnson-Mallard has been working with a team of professionals in the College of Nursing and Public Health to prepare the initiatives for success for the upcoming fall semester. 

“To be proactive, we wanted to make sure and ensure that those students were not left behind and that they really understood what the College of Nursing has to offer,” Johnson-Mallard said. 

The College of Nursing understands that for incoming freshmen, the feelings of newness can be overwhelming, so they are dedicating projects, events and year-long initiatives to meet the students where they are and help them on the path to success. The college aims to bring a sense of belonging to the freshman nursing students.

“We are implementing programming that helps them get connected and feel connected to the College of Nursing,” said Taryn Burhanna, a lecturer and clinical instructor in the College of Nursing. “We don’t have many touchpoints with them during their first year here.”

Students in their first year take anatomy, physiology, microbiology and chemistry courses. These courses aren’t the same as clinical nursing courses, which allow students to get hands-on experience in their future career paths.

Burhanna found that some students could feel discouraged because their first-year courses don’t allow them to get the hands-on experience they want. 

“We know that research shows that students are more likely to do well and persist and persevere when they feel connected to the environment they are in,” Burhanna said. “That’s what’s launched so many of these belonging campaigns.”

The college will implement study sessions, medical simulation events, gaming events, virtual events, pizza and movie nights and possible field trips. 

“Being a community is really important for your holistic success, and it’s important to spread that message,” said Shaunte Rouse, assistant director of Academic Diversity Outreach for the College of Public Health. 

Additionally, besides hosting events and activities for incoming freshmen, the college will be helping students navigate their academics and any other issues they may be struggling with. 

“Instilling in them how to recognize when they need help and understanding there’s no judgment or strings attached,” Burhanna said. “This is something we almost expect you to do when you’re in trouble, and hopefully, you’re not waiting until you’re in trouble to reach out. We are trying to be as proactive as possible.”

Rouse and Burhanna are working together to help students figure out their coursework schedules while balancing their work and social lives. For example, students may consider taking anatomy with college writing instead of anatomy with biology to lessen the stress of their coursework while juggling a full or part-time job. 

The college also encourages faculty to share relative and lived experiences with their students to help break down the barriers between students not feeling connected in the classrooms.

“I see myself as a student advocate, and I’m trying to be wide open in every space to say I’m here, come to me for help,” Johnson-Mallard said.

The college collects qualitative and quantitative data to show whether or not they succeeded in their efforts and what they may need to improve on. 

“Students first,” Johnson-Mallard said. “That’s our goal, and when they are in the College of Nursing, we are saying the same message.”

Chania Crawford is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].