Ohio Senate passes controversial Senate Bill 83

Samantha Hendrickson, AP

Opponents of a multifaceted higher education bill protest across the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, Wednesday, May 17, 2023. The bill, which cleared the Republican-dominated state Senate on Wednesday, 21-10, would severely limit diversity, equity and inclusion training at Ohio’s public universities, prohibit faculty from striking and bar public universities from taking stances on “controversial” topics. It next goes to the House for consideration.

Grace Springer, Editor-in-Chief

Senate Bill 83, also known as the Ohio Higher Education Enhancement Act, passed 21-10 in the Ohio Senate Wednesday. 

The controversial bill is expected to require changes to public higher education in the state, such as banning faculty strikes and restricting diversity efforts. 

Sen. Jerry Cirino, R-Kirtland, who sponsored the bill, spoke to recommend the bill’s passage before the senate vote. 

“We the legislature now have the opportunity to change the direction of higher ed if we are willing to be courageous,” he said. “If we do not act now, I fear we will continue down the path of servitude to a woke agenda from which there may be no return.”

According to the Associated Press, the multifaceted bill would drastically change the way that students learn and faculty teach across the nation’s fourth-largest public university system, and comes as other Republican-led states target diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education. Just this week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed bills that prohibit universities from spending money on these types of programs and using related statements in hiring or admission decisions.

Cirino said he proposed the bill with the intention of protecting conservative students and staff from pressure to conform to liberal ideologies. 

“To the students first, […] if you want your professors to welcome and encourage true intellectual diversity, free from the pressure to agree with a single ideological perspective which dominates our campuses today, this bill is for you,” Cirino said.

The bill has been criticized by AAUP-KSU President Deb Smith and representatives of Kent State’s Undergraduate Student Government. Those who oppose the bill say it is unnecessary and will inhibit academic freedom.

Minority Whip Sen. Kent Smith, D-Euclid, said the bill could weaken Ohio higher education.

“I believe this is the worst assault on academic freedom that Ohio has ever seen,” he said before the vote Wednesday. “This bill will short change our students, undermine our faculty and diminish our state’s position as a global leader in higher education.”

The bill still needs to pass in the Ohio House. A companion bill, House Bill 151, is currently in hearings.

Grace Springer is Editor-in-Chief. Contact her at [email protected].

Samantha Hendrickson of the Associated Press contributed to this report.