‘We want to set the standard’: Volleyball prepares for its season

Asha Blake
The Kent State Women’s Volleyball team joins up for a huddle during a time-out. The Flashes played Cornell Sept. 3 but were beaten 3-1.

The Kent State Volleyball team will have to lean on its four returning players throughout the season.

“Last year was just kind of managing what we had, and this year it’s really creating the culture,” coach Haley Eckerman said. “We want to set the standard for Kent State volleyball this season.”

KSU returns only four players from last season and has brought in 11 new faces.

“They are there supporting each other, and for me, that is something that is great to have,” Eckerman said. “I’m not surprised by it, but how the team gets along with one another and seeing how well they gel together is awesome from a coach’s perspective.”

Coach Eckerman is pleased to see the work senior libero Bryn Roberts has put in this off-season. 

“Bryn stepping up in the last couple of weeks has been huge,” she said. “When spring started, she had to understand that it was her role to step up, and it’s almost a chance for her to create the legacy she wants.”

Eckerman said understanding each person on the team and their strengths is important.

“Figuring out what their role is on the team, whether it’s a vocal leader or who will be the go-to player,” she said. “Who will be the first one off the bench to come in and make a change when we need it.” 

The second-year coach looks forward to what the team can bring this season and how they will hold up against a strong Mid-American Conference. 

“Seeing how well the team gels together is awesome from a coach’s perspective,” Eckerman said. “They are supporting each other, and for me, that is something that is great to have.” 

Last season, she led the team to a 13-16 overall record, with a 4-14 record in the MAC. 

Kent State volleyball coach Haley Eckerman speaks to the team during a time out as the game against Toledo approaches its end on Nov. 12, 2022. (Matthew Brown)

“I think I’m a little bit more understanding, especially knowing what our conference brings to the table and how we’re going to have to compete every night,” Eckerman said. “It’s almost like a brand new year for me again, just because it’s new.” 

The Flashes played in their first invitational tournament this season in Indianapolis August 25 and 26. 

The team went 0-3 in their matchups against Butler, UC San Diego and Fresno State, making it Kent State’s first 0-3 start since 2009. 

“Last weekend was the first time playing for some of our transfer students and freshmen,” Eckerman said. “I think that our biggest weakness is the experience of playing at the D-1 level that we have been at.”

Over the first three games, KSU recorded 178 digs and 18 blocks. 

“One of our biggest strengths over the last tournament we had was defensively, we can be really good,” Eckerman said. “We have players that are new and want to compete every single day.”

The Flashes will be back in action this weekend, competing in the FryFest Invitational in Iowa. They play South Dakota State (1-2) on Friday, Iowa (1-2) on Saturday and Middle Tennessee (0-2) on Sunday. 

“It’s kind of tough when you have to play three different teams,” Eckerman said. “We have to practice everything to be prepared.

“The plus side for us is we get to do one game at a time versus our normal preseason tournaments like last weekend.” 

In the team’s previous tournament, they played three games in two days. 

The FryFest Invitational also brings its challenges to the Flashes, with little information about their opponents for the weekend.

“There’s no film out on anybody,” Eckerman said. “Obviously, there were some returners, but you don’t know who’s going to play different roles and what changes they’re going to make.” 

Ethan Madden is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].