Women’s lacrosse team drops inaugural match to Cincinnati

Lacrosse practice at Dix Stadium on February 4.

Amanda Levine

The Kent State women’s lacrosse team kicked off their inaugural season on Sunday; the Flashes were unable to hold off the University of Cincinnati and lost 19-8.

Cincinnati’s offense attacked early on a goal by Sam Mlkvy assisted by Monica Borzillo in the third minute. The Bearcats would go on to score eight goals in the first half, with Borzillo recording four, while Mlkvy and Jayde Sains each had two.

Coach Brianne Tierney said despite the Flashes struggles in the second half, she wants to focus on the positive.

“I think it was a great start for this group in particular,” she said. “The first 30 minutes I think they really played, went out, played strong, didn’t back down and strung a lot of good passes together and a bunch of good plays together,” said Tierney, “I think the second half doesn’t reflect who we are as a team and I don’t think the girls feel that way. I certainly don’t.”

The Flashes kept up in the first half, scoring six goals. The first goal came at the four minute mark by freshman Abby Jones. Jones and freshman Megan Kozar scored two goals each while freshmen Graceyn Dean and Lluna Katz each tallied one. 

In the second half, the Flashes’ defense struggled, as the Bearcats’ offense put up 11 goals. Borzillo totaled seven goals while Gianna Napoletano and Mlkvy finished with four.  

The Flashes were stumped by the Bearcats defense in the second half, but Katz and Jones each scored a goal. Jones lead the Flashes in total goals with three, while Katz and Kozar had two and Dean had one.

“She’s got a really strong presence of mind to move a goalie and put it around them and go as hard as she can on every play,” Tierney said of Jones’ play. “She did awesome for us on both ends of the field, the attacking hand ended, defensive end and also taking the draw control.”

Freshman goalie Grace Merrill had 14 saves on a day when the Flashes were outshot by a 38-to-18 margin.

“She’s unbelievable,” Tierney said. “We are so lucky in that she is by leaps and bounds ahead of where she should be and she’s really a well ahead of time and is playing so well right when it it matters.”

The Flashes home opener will be Saturday Feb.16 at Dix Stadium at 1 p.m against Robert Morris University.

Amanda Levine is a sports reporter. Contact her at [email protected].