Freshmen, defense help field hockey secure fourth win in five games

Kent State forward Pippa Best (center-left) battles Billiken’s Jess Dunlap for possession. 

Amanda Levine

Kent State field hockey’s (6-10, 4-1 Mid-American Conference) defense dominated on Friday’s game against Ohio (4-9, 2-3 MAC), resulting in a 2-1 Flashes victory.

“It’s always great to get a win on the road and the conference,” coach Kathleen Wiler said. “It’s good just to get some momentum heading into next weekend.”

The first goal of the game came late in the second half when senior forward Pippa Best scored her first goal of the season off a rebound from the goalie.

Kent State scored again in the 59th minute of the game with freshman forward Luisa Knapp also scored her first goal of the season. Freshman midfielder Helena Cambra Soler received the assist on the play.

“It was nice to see her put a goal in and Louisa too as a freshman,” Wiler said. “She scored the second goal and it was her first goal too. So two firsts for them today, but as any goal their a team effort.”

The Bobcats scored in the 64th minute when Leah Warren passed the ball to Jillian Shive who scored Ohio’s only goal of the game. This was Shive’s ninth goal of the season.

Ohio outshot Kent State, 12-7, but the strong defensive effort helped Kent get the win. Junior goalie Mary Crumlish tallied 11 saves on the day.

“We’ve been working on some things all week and we showed those today. I think it would’ve been nice to put a few more balls in the net, but I’m happy to come home with a win,” said coach Wiler.

Kent State will take on Appalachian State University on Friday at 1 p.m.