Field hockey continues to struggle heading into conference play

Freshman Helena Cambra Soler passes the ball during Kent State field hockey’s match against Northwestern University on Sept. 4, 2018. Kent State lost 4-2.

Amanda Levine

The Kent State field hockey team (2-9) opened up conference play this weekend with a chance to turn around its season.

Miami (OH) 3, Kent State 0

The Flashes defense flexed their respective muscles early in their Saturday loss to Miami (OH) on Saturday, holding the RedHawks to one shot on goal in the first half.

The first goal of the game came in the 24th minute when RedHawks forward Estel Roig knocked the ball in with an assist from Leonor Berlie.  

Despite the Flashes strong defense, Kent State wasn’t able to hold off a late Miami surge. The RedHawks scored again on a penalty shot in the 50th minute by Paula Portugal with assists from Kendall Hunker and Kirsten McNeil.

Miami scored again in the 60th minute on an unassisted goal from Portugal.

The RedHawks outscored the Flashes 16-2 in the match.

Junior Laila Richter was the only Flash of the day to have a shot on goal.

Saint Francis University 2, Kent State 1

The Flashes strong defense wasn’t enough in the loss to Saint Francis, as back-to-back St. Francis goals proved to be the Flashes undoing.

“We just need to play with heart, passion and pride and just keep working,” coach Kathleen Wiler said. “I think you can see a lot of attacks. We just need to be able to finish.”

Going into the second half of the game, the score was still tied at zero until the aformentioned back-to-back goals from the Red Flashes. Samantha Olton scored the first St. Francis goal in the 54 minute on an assist from Taylor Nesmith.

Atina Pagani scored on an unassisted goal in the 55th minute.

The Flashes wasted no time answering when they scored in the the 56th minute on a goal by Sydney Carr.

Despite the loss, the Flashes outshot the Red Flashes 11-7.

Sophomore back Hailie Balachick, sophomore back Clara Rodriguez Seto and senior forward Jessica Apelt each had two shots on goal.  

“We have to really be disciplined with our structure and all those things so we would just need to continue to work on our structure, our organization overall in the field and keep that heading into Mid-American Conference play,” Wiler said. “We still have a lot to play for. So we’re really keeping our eyes on that.”

Kent State will continue MAC play against Longwood University Sunday, Sept. 30 at 12 p.m. in Farmville, Virginia.

Amanda Levine is a sports reporter. Contact her at [email protected].