Track has record-breaking weekend

The Kent State women’s track and field team competes in the 800 meter race against Akron at the Kent Field House on Friday, Jan. 22, 2016. Kent lost 80-71.

Samantha Lough

Two Kent State track athletes earned spots in the Kent State indoor record books this weekend at the Akron Invitational.

Senior William Barnes and sophomore Jonathon Grant of the men’s team earned personal records.

Barnes placed first in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.13 seconds, placing him third all time in Kent State history. Barnes beat out Princeton Bryson by one second to clinch the third spot. Coming in at 21.6 seconds, Brian Smith finished third in the 200-meter race. Barnes also placed second in the 60-meter hurdles.

Grant placed his name in the record book, coming in first in the 60-meter dash. Grant is now tied for sixth all time in Kent State history 6.73 seconds and is tied with 2004 record holder Otis Jordan. Right behind Grant in the 60 was senior Wayne Gordon in second place with a time of 6.77. Grant also placed fourth in the men’s long jump.

Other athletes who performed well were senior Jesse Oxley in the men’s pole vault coming in second place, senior Jacob Swords placed second in the 800-meter dash and senior Donovan Tolbert finished third in the men’s triple jump.  

Senior Micheal King and redshirt sophomore David Paliscak placed second and fourth in shot put. Kent State scored the third and fourth spot for discuss. Redshirt junior Reginald Jagers III placed third with a throw of 53.9m (174’ 10”) and junior Douglas Moorer Jr. placed fourth.

On the women’s side, redshirt freshman Jai’Lyn Mosley placed first in the discus and sophomore Gabrielle Figueroa placed first in the weight throw.

Senior Dior Delophont came in second in the high jump and senior Roseanne Erickson second in the long jump. Freshman Olivia Davis also placed first in the mile race and freshman Talia Falco placed fourth in the high jump. Lastly, the women’s 4×400-meter relay team of sophomore Tyler Williams, junior Chelsea Laury, senior Taylor Farquhar and junior Jorian Ordway placed first.

“I am very happy to see continued improvement from both men and women’s program’s,” assistant coach Phil Rickaby said. “We have two more meets before conference championships and I am expecting to see our athletes turn up a notch at the Spire invitational.”

The SPIRE Invitational is the next meet on the Flashes schedule, Feb. 11 and Feb. 12 in Geneva, Ohio.

Samantha Lough is a sports reporter for The Kent Stater, contact her at [email protected].