Opinion: Why your parents are right

Zachary Downes is a columnist for The Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].

Zachary Downes

Many people move away to college. The minute they step foot on campus, there is a sense of liberation that every college student gets. Parent rules fly out the window and students start to figure out their lives.

Here is where every college student is wrong. They mess the game up right away by not admitting their parents are right.

This is an open letter to every college student. Your parents are always right. I know it’s hard to understand. I honestly do not like to admit to my mother that she is right. Here are some reasons to prove your parents are right. Follow these steps and you’ll avoid numerous arguments over the phone with them.

1. Your parents have been on this Earth a little longer than you. I know you think you have the world in your hands, but your parents brought you into the world that’s actually in your hands.

If you are between the college age of 18 to 23, that puts your parents around the 40 to 50 age range. That is about an extra 20 years of life experience. If you think you know more than your parents who have lived for nearly four decades, please show me your reasoning behind this because I doubt you can.

2. Do not be mean to the hand that feeds you. If you are paying for everything completely on your own, I congratulate you. If you think your parents won’t pay for your needs after fighting with them about the bad decisions you made over the weekend, you are wrong.

Yes, your parents love you and want you to do your best, but they also want you to learn on your own. The quickest way for your parents to give you a big “F you” is for them to stop funding your bank account. So remember, don’t be mean to the hand that feeds you.

3. They are just trying to help. You may be thinking I am wrong and I do not know your relationship with your parents, but they just want you to succeed in life. The biggest thing I’ve learned is that they do the things they do because in the long run, it will help you out. If you decided you’re going to drop out of college because of stress and your parents yell at you, they are right and you need to stop.

These are just thoughts from personal experiences. You can do what you will with these tips.

Zach Downes is an opinion writer for The Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].