Our View: University attempts at openness not yet met need

KS Editors

Summary: At about 2 p.m. Wednesday, students received an email from Kent State President Beverly Warren sharing that two of Kent State’s vice presidents will be leaving Kent State.

While most students are used to getting “In A Flash” emails from Kent State’s previous president, Lester Lefton, Tuesday afternoon was a different experience. Warren emailed the Kent State community to let us all know about major changes in the university’s administration — something the previous administration may have just sent out through a press release and then remained silent on the issue. This new approach is refreshing, but, at the same time, is this openness from the administration enough?

Kent State has been no stranger to controversy with openness, most famously with its recent presidential search in which documents detailing candidates and their qualifications could not be produced. The former president also lacked openness with the media. And though Warren seems to have changed the administration’s attitude on this, this is just one move toward better communication amongst the Kent State community.

Openness from the university is about being able to get public documents without always having to go through the lengthy process of dealing with legal services. And it’s about being given the answers to questions, such as “Why did the two vice presidents decide to retire?”

Simply announcing to the student body that the Gregg Floyd, vice president for Finance and Administration, and Greg Jarvie, the vice president for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, are leaving may not exactly be what people are looking for when it comes to openness. A simple statement of fact may not be enough, but it is a step in the right direction.

We continue to urge the administration to become transparent with those it affects.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of The Kent Stater editorial board.